Predictive Text in TextBoxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I was wondering if there was a pre-determined dictionary (ala. predictive text) available for textboxes in WP7 Silverlight?

I understand the AutoComplete feature yet this isn't what I'm after. Something with a built in dictionary.

Cheers,

GoldDark

Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• This video (starting at 18:00) show the Auto - Correction and the built - in dictionary list correction features:

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/LauraFoy/First-Look-Windows-Phone-7-Series-Hands-on-Demo/

Thanks,

Mike

Sunday, April 25, 2010 4:59 PM
  •  As usual Mike you're spot on with the knowledge. Is there a way of currently implementing this or will all text boxes have this feature by default in the final version?

Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Yes. This can be set via the InputScope property of the TextBox control. There are three ways to set InputScope:

Via XAML
    <TextBox>
         <TextBox.InputScope>
              <InputScope>
                   <InputScopeName NameValue="Text" />
             </InputScope>
         </TextBox.InputScope>
    </TextBox>

Via Code
    textBox1.InputScope = new InputScope()
    {
    Names = { new InputScopeName() { NameValue = InputScopeNameValue.Text } }
    };

Via XAML with a TypeConvertor
    <TextBox InputScope="Text" />

See the following links for more information:
    http://shawnoster.com/blog/post/Changing-the-Onscreen-Keyboard-layout-in-Silverlight-for-Windows-Phone-using-InputScope.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.input.inputscopenamevalue.aspx

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, April 26, 2010 4:01 PM
  •  Thank you Mike,

Love your work.

- GoldDark

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:49 AM
  •  Hi Mike,

This is all working fine. Except when I load my app into Expression Blend it gives me an error on the InputScope line.

"The TypeConverter for "InputScope" does not support converting from a string".

Visual Studio 2010 opens it fine and does not produce this error. I'm wondering; is this an error specifically to Expression Blend Beta 4?

Cheers,

GoldDark

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:07 AM
  • This this is an issue with the Blend beta, I have reported this to the Blend team.

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Note that the short syntax - <TextBox InputScope=”Text” /> - should work in both products as a temporary measure.

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Cheers Mike,

You're a legend.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:27 AM
  •  I've noticed a pretty lethal bug. If you position InputScope as anything bar something supported for example TelephoneNumber, Date etc the emulator will lock up and cause VS2010 to eventually crash.

For example setting <TextBox InputScope="HelloCats"></Textbox> the above error will be caused, VS2010 also doesn't catch what isn't allowed.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:23 AM
  • Thanks for the bug report! I’ve reported this to the Windows Phone 7 dev tools team.

Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:43 PM
  • This still happens....it was never fixed I guess?

I have InputScope="EmailNameOrAddress" in a TextBox, and in Blend I get a build error:
    The TypeConverter for "InputScope" does not support converting from a string.

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:40 PM