none
Error when trying to sign in as a different user RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone had an error page when trying to sign in as a different user?

Or does anyone knows what might be causing this error and how to fix it?

Everytime I try to sign in as a different user I get an error "unknown error", a few months ago this was working fine and now is all screw up.

Friday, July 11, 2008 1:04 PM

Answers

• I'm experiencing a similar problem with my portal when using IE6.

The problem does always reproduce the second time when "Login as a different user".

Make the following changes into the "web.config" of your web site in order to see what caused the problem:

Change the custom Errors mode from On to Off.

<customErrors mode="Off" />

Turn on the call stack by changing CallStack from “false” to “true” in SafeMode <SafeMode MaxControls="200" CallStack="true" …>

I'm getting the following error details:

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: String   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
       at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
       at System.Int32.Parse(String s)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.AccessDeniedPage.LogInAsAnotherUser()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.AccessDeniedPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

It looks like a problem in Microsoft code: bug or side effect related to my customizations.

Please let me know if you see the same error details.

Thanks,

Daniel

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:36 PM
  • Problem fixed.

As the error message says, there were a folder _layouts under the Layouts folder missing also the simple.master file inside the _layouts folder was missing too.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\_layouts\simple.master

Thanks your post really help me.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please let us know if the error occurs after authentication process or even before sign in.

In other words, in error page, what happens if you replace the url with http://myserver:myport/_layouts/viewlsts.aspx

Do you see anything as new connected user. In such case, you might have a homepage that goes wierd. Just an assumption and please provide us further details.

Friday, July 11, 2008 1:42 PM
  • No it occurs when I click the option to sign in with a different user.
    This is the link error:
    http://mysite/_layouts/AccessDenied.aspx?loginasanotheruser=true&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fscsonet%2FPages%2FDefault%2Easpx

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:33 PM
  •  

Have a look at the 12 hive log file.  There should be some more detailed error message there.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:12 PM
  •  

Hi Lairpr,

Have you tried the "login in as different user" when you are not in your my site?  The my site is filled with elements that leverage the current users credentials so I can see that logging in as a different user in my site might cause some headaches.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Hi Francois,

Yes. I have try from the main page and from my site page and still get the error.

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:00 PM
  •  

How did you come to this url? it is pointing to accessdenied.aspx, and it comes when you try to open a page for which you don't have access. Can you outline the steps you are taking?

-Chris

Monday, July 21, 2008 2:07 PM
  • I went into my main page, then I selected the option Sign in as Different User from the drop down menu; Wlcome MYUSERNAME on the top of the page near site actions.

This is very extrange because a few months ago it was working and right now I am the administrator and got full access to everything.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 2:47 PM
  • I'm experiencing a similar problem with my portal when using IE6.

The problem does always reproduce the second time when "Login as a different user".

Make the following changes into the "web.config" of your web site in order to see what caused the problem:

Change the custom Errors mode from On to Off.

<customErrors mode="Off" />

Turn on the call stack by changing CallStack from “false” to “true” in SafeMode <SafeMode MaxControls="200" CallStack="true" …>

I'm getting the following error details:

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: String   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
       at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
       at System.Int32.Parse(String s)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.AccessDeniedPage.LogInAsAnotherUser()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.AccessDeniedPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

It looks like a problem in Microsoft code: bug or side effect related to my customizations.

Please let me know if you see the same error details.

Thanks,

Daniel

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:36 PM
  • Try to chack the permission on C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS..

looks like these?

Administrators  - Full Control
    Creator Owner has special perms
    Power Users  - ALL but full control
    System - full control
    Terminal Server User - all but full control
    Users  - read & execute, read, list folder contents
    WSS_ADMIN_WPG -  Full Control
    WSS_WPG - Read & Execute, Read, List folder contents

Regards,

Francesco

www.sharepointinside.it

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:09 PM
  • This is the message I get:

The file '/_layouts/_layouts/simple.master' does not exist.   at System.Web.UI.Util.CheckVirtualFileExists(VirtualPath virtualPath)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)
       at System.Web.UI.BaseTemplateParser.GetReferencedType(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean allowNoCompile)
       at System.Web.UI.PageParser.ProcessMainDirectiveAttribute(String deviceName, String name, String value, IDictionary parseData)
       at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessMainDirective(IDictionary mainDirective)

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Your relative url '/_layouts/_layouts/simple.master' is invalid. It should be '/_layouts/simple.master'.

Daniel
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Problem fixed.

As the error message says, there were a folder _layouts under the Layouts folder missing also the simple.master file inside the _layouts folder was missing too.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\_layouts\simple.master

Thanks your post really help me.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Yes I know, but for some reason it needs the _layouts folder under the Layouts. After y created the folder and copy the file simple.master it worked, so I might leave it like that I've been trying to fixed this for a few weeks.

Thanks
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:06 PM
  • to me this method is not recomended.
    What you can do is open you site in sharepoint designer and try to fix the path for the master page from  _layouts/_layouts/simple.master to _layouts/simple.master
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:19 AM
  • can you please tell me how can I fix this path in designer. I am having the same issue and remember modifying simple.master for some testing purpose.can you please provide some more info 
    Regards  
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:10 AM