Real time Web query/Web API RRS feed

• Question

• User-728446177 posted

Hi, I am looking to do a web app that allow user to do a search and return list of results. My thinking are:

1. Real time web query, like skyscanner.com

2. web API? do i need to create an api for each company so that they could open the data for me to query  whenever there is a search from the user?

1 option would be best but think it would be very difficult and i have no idea how to go about this, 2 option is easier but i also need to learn how to do this. Please advice.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 3:27 AM

Answers

• User-728446177 posted

Thanks jmpalines, if thats the simplest and easiest, guess could go with this traditional way.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:41 AM

All replies

• User36583972 posted

Hi maomimomi,

1 option would be best but think it would be very difficult and i have no idea how to go about this,

Yes, The most difficult is that you cannot require customers to provide the latest database information. And the database structure is different for each customer.

, 2 option is easier but i also need to learn how to do this. Please advice.

You can define a web API interface specification (including database structures and access address...). The Customer will store data in the database, the data for us to use the query.

You can start learning  ASP.NET Web API 2 from the following link.

Getting Started with ASP.NET Web API 2 (C#):

http://www.asp.net/web-api/overview/getting-started-with-aspnet-web-api/tutorial-your-first-web-api

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 6:00 AM
  • User-728446177 posted

Hi Yohann

Thanks for your reply.

-->>>You can define a web API interface specification (including database structures and access address...). The Customer will store data in the database, the data for us to use the query.<<<--

When you said the customer will store data in the db, is it in my db? so i create API interface spec to request C1, C2, C3 info, what the customer need to do? or what i should create to make them easier to pass the info to me?

Thanks

MaomiMomi

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 2:54 AM
  • User1869050296 posted

from your app what are the things that a customer can query?

if its coming from 3rd party sources, provided that they have exposed api's, you can just call each one within your app and combine the results and display to your user,

e.g. user searched for the current gold price, from your app you call Bloomberg api for the spot gold price and show the relevant info to your screen.

however not all api's are free and open to public.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:40 AM
  • User-728446177 posted

Hi jmpalines, its not those exposed api's i am targetting at, lets say there are 1000 companies that sell cups, surely most of them don't have API, and lets say my site allow user to search cups from these 1000 companies, and my site would display a pic of the cup, description and price of each of these company according to the user's search. so my question is. doens't have to be using API, but something that allow these companies to expose their data, if not real time periodlically is ok, but something as auto as possible not manually sending me an excel for me to to input to my database. so how they can expose their data upon request, think thats the main question.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:45 AM
  • User1869050296 posted

maybe an ftp can help? each company dumps a flat file with the data, write a batch job to download the file and store in your local db.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:16 AM
  • User-728446177 posted

Thanks jmpalines, if thats the simplest and easiest, guess could go with this traditional way.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:41 AM