none
VS2015 or VS2017 RC does not start IIS Express 64 bit

Question

• --- This question has been also posted in 'Visual Studio Development  >  Visual Studio Diagnostics (Debugger, Profiler, IntelliTrace)' ---

Even though I have set up visual studio to run IIS Express 64 bit, it continues to start IIS Express 32 bit. I need to run the 64-bit version because I have some references that will only work on a 64-bit host environment.

My projects were created based on template "ASP.NET Core Web Application (.NET Framework)" and,
    I have set up visual studio (2015 and 2017 RC) to use IIS Express 64 bit by going to Tools / Options / "Project and solutions" / "Web Projects" and checking the option "Use the <g class="gr_ gr_13 gr-alert gr_spell gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="13" id="13">64 bit</g> version of IIS Express for web sites and projects".
    I know it is running IIS Express 32 bit version because the task manager indicates "IIS Express Worker Process (32 bit)" and also the command that started the process shows the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\iisexpress.exe" that is the location of the 32 bit version of IIS Express.

Thank you in advance for the help you can provide.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 12:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Cayetano,

I could repro the issue in my side, and got the same result as yours.

Someone has posted a feedback about the same issue as yours, you may refer to it and comment it via the following link:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3117500

If your VS version is Visual Studio Community 2015, there is workaround you might try.

Run your ASP.NET Core Web application by choose your web application directly instead of IIS Express. Then it will start the 64-bit IIS Express.  

However, it doesn’t work on Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 which I tested as well, you may have to wait for the response from the feedback if you use this version.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Cayetano Wednesday, December 28, 2016 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Cayetano,

I could repro the issue in my side, and got the same result as yours.

Someone has posted a feedback about the same issue as yours, you may refer to it and comment it via the following link:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3117500

If your VS version is Visual Studio Community 2015, there is workaround you might try.

Run your ASP.NET Core Web application by choose your web application directly instead of IIS Express. Then it will start the 64-bit IIS Express.  

However, it doesn’t work on Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 which I tested as well, you may have to wait for the response from the feedback if you use this version.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Cayetano Wednesday, December 28, 2016 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 9:37 AM
  • I was able to make it work in VS 2017 by modifying tag RuntimeIdentifier of web project (*.csproj) like in the image below.

The RuntimeIdentifier was changed from win7-x86 to win7-x64. With that change the IIS Express 64 bit was loaded. 

You cannot change RuntimeIdentifier from the properties, you have to change it directly on the file.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 6:29 PM