WP8 Certification Failed: App Failed to Launch RRS feed

• Question

• I just received a Certification Failure on my Windows Phone application with the following explaination:

The application cannot be tested for compliance for Windows Phone Application Certification Requirements because it fails

to launch on all Windows Phone devices. The application silently terminates at launch.

This doesn't seem possible as the .XAP that was submitted installs, launches and functions correctly on all WP8 emulators, and also on my physical WP8 phone. It has been tested both with and without network connectivity, and also in Airplane Mode.

On what platform are you testing the Apps on? Are there any unusual hardware configurations that could cause problems with an app that don't exist under any developer testable scenario?

Was this tester operator error?

If so, is my only solution to resubmit and hope that the same error is not repeated?

Without some way of reproducing the results I'm at a loss for how to proceed.

• Edited by Derrick S Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:47 PM spelling
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:10 PM

Answers

• By passing a few permutations of the app through the beta program I was able to narrow the crash down to the playing of sound, and finally discover the crash was caused by a FileStream.Open which was not specified with access flags, causing a writable open request to a file in the App's InstalledLocation folder.

using (Stream EffectStream = new FileStream(path, FileMode.Open))

needed to be

using (Stream EffectStream = new FileStream(path, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read))

I'm very glad I was able to find the problem; however it was a hunt and using a simple go/no-go from the beta program isn't a very efficient way to troubleshoot (the turnaround time on a beta publish can be 30 minutes or so).

My app is very simple, I imagine the frustration of finding an error such as this would be orders of magnitude more difficult for a complex application.

I'd have expected that with Crash Reporting enabled on my phone, that I would have received crash reports maybe even with stack traces in the Phone Dev Center, but none were received.

tldr: It was my error; The Beta program is a must-do during app submission; The crash reporting would have helped find this issue much faster if it worked.

• Edited by Derrick S Friday, June 14, 2013 12:31 PM formatting
    • Marked as answer by Derrick S Friday, June 14, 2013 12:32 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hello Derrick,

Testing your app via the emulator or by sideloading your app onto a phone via the SDK should be part of your testing, however, in order to properly test your app you need to submit your app as a beta so it can be processed by the store. It is possible that the app may be doing something that is not permitted or one of the capabilities has not been properly declared.

It is often possible to replicate the failure issues raised by the testers if you submit your app as a beta and then download and install the app through the Windows Phone Store client on a physical device.

This blog post also covers other common failures: App fails to launch

The Windows Phone Store Test Kit may also help you with testing your app and is built into the SDK.

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Send us your feedback about the Dev Center

Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:48 PM
  • I have used the SDK to profile via App Analysis in Visual Studio, and installed the XAP file directly on all devices.

I don't mind submitting as a beta now that I know that option exists, but am very disgruntled at the complete non-reproducibility of this determination, and highly suspect operator error.

I see in the blog post about common failures that the XAP may fail if the compilation is for the emulator and not the "Device" but how then is it possible that I am able to install this XAP file on both the Device and the emulators? Wouldn't it be wise to be able to detect this when the XAP is uploaded if this is a common source of failure?

Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Eric D: I want to thank you for your prompt reply earlier and the resources you included which did give me a path to proceed on.

I did resubmit the working XAP as a beta; and indeed after publication it failed to launch. I am still working out why this is the case using the blog post on common failures.

I really feel that it needs restating that it seems to be a major failure of the app submission and certification process that an working XAP file can be submitted to the store, and that the resulting published application is non-functional in this manner, for any reason.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:43 PM
  • By passing a few permutations of the app through the beta program I was able to narrow the crash down to the playing of sound, and finally discover the crash was caused by a FileStream.Open which was not specified with access flags, causing a writable open request to a file in the App's InstalledLocation folder.

using (Stream EffectStream = new FileStream(path, FileMode.Open))

needed to be

using (Stream EffectStream = new FileStream(path, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read))

I'm very glad I was able to find the problem; however it was a hunt and using a simple go/no-go from the beta program isn't a very efficient way to troubleshoot (the turnaround time on a beta publish can be 30 minutes or so).

My app is very simple, I imagine the frustration of finding an error such as this would be orders of magnitude more difficult for a complex application.

I'd have expected that with Crash Reporting enabled on my phone, that I would have received crash reports maybe even with stack traces in the Phone Dev Center, but none were received.

tldr: It was my error; The Beta program is a must-do during app submission; The crash reporting would have helped find this issue much faster if it worked.

• Edited by Derrick S Friday, June 14, 2013 12:31 PM formatting
    • Marked as answer by Derrick S Friday, June 14, 2013 12:32 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Hello Derrick,

Thank for keeping the community updated on your troubleshooting and sharing the solution, I am sure other developers will benefit from your thorough and well written post about your experience troubleshooting this issue.

Your feedback on the debugging process is most appreciated. I encourage you to post your feedback on the Dev Center feedback page. The team that makes decisions on what types of changes will be made to the Dev Center and developer tools actively use the feedback site to make their decisions.

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Send us your feedback about the Dev Center

Friday, June 14, 2013 3:04 PM