Azure Services Naming (good/best practices) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking for a good (consistent) way to name my Azure services (SQL databases, VMs, Service Bus Namespaces, Event Hubs, Storage Accounts, etc.). So I'm looking for ways (best/good practices) of how others are naming these?

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Guy,

If you are new to Windows Azure you will quickly find that most object names (storage accounts, cloud services, etc.) within the Azure environment have to be unique. In many cases that is because they are URLs.

I would recommend during the planning phase of your project that you develop some sort of naming convention for your objects to help minimize the possibility that someone else has already taken the name that you are planning to use. You will also need to be flexible if you happen to run into that situation. If you are planning on hosting many different environments within the same Azure instance then the likely hood that you will want to use the same name increases significantly.

You may use a combination of company’s abbreviation, object, and or service to create these unique names.

Reference link: http://www.tcscblog.com/naming-conventions-in-azure/

Best Regards

Sadiqh Ahmed

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful.

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site.
    Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.
    There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 7:31 PM