none
Game controlling RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

is it possible to control normal games like fifa or nba with the kinect? Like controlling player movement with right hand and feets for pass/shot.

I'm thinking on develop my own controller. But how can I implement this? Is it possible to simulate gamepad inputs? I would like to say walk up with 20% speed when I move my hand a little bit and higher % for fast moving. So simple inputs of a keyboard won't be enough.

Anyone ideas?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:58 AM

Answers

• Hello ,

I think what you want is similar of an app I am currently working on :) . I create an app that converts the return value of the pose/gesture generate by my other app (PoseAndGestureGenerator) to keyboard/mouse events.

How to use

1.       Download PoseAndGestureGenerator(http://bethecontroller.com/BTCdownloads/PoseAndGestureGeneratorV1a.exe)

2.       Download BeTheController App (http://bethecontroller.com/BTCdownloads/BeTheController-App.rar)

3.      Generate the poses and gestures you want to track and in the return value field put the key event you want.(a table with the value for special key and mouse key is available in the BeTheController-App.rar)

4.       Save the Poses list as Poses.pbtc and Gestures list as Gestures.gbtc and make sure that are in BeTheController App directory.

5.       Run the BeTheControllerApp.exe

A Guide how to use the PoseAndGestureenerator is available at http://bethecontroller.com/BTCdownloads/BTC%20User%20Manual.pdf

I test it with World of Warcraft and it works fine.

Note. This application (BeTheController-App) is not well test so it may have some bugs :).

To implement the key simulation in c# I use the functions

System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys.SendWait();// key press

[DllImport("user32.dll", SetLastError = true)]

private static extern uint SendInput(uint numInputs, INPUT[] inputs, int size);

// to control the mouse

I know is not 100% of what you want but you can test in an easy and fast way if this functions work with fifa .

Nick

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:56 PM

All replies

• You can take a look the Shape game sample where the player use hands and feets. But you your thinking to do mean accurate and fast movements and I am not sure you will be able to achieve that using this beta version. There is a game for Xbox 360 where we need hit and shot balls and it works fine but that game does not use Kinect SDK.

Cheers.

System Architect
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Thank's for reply.

The problem is that you can't use kinect in fifa.

So I want to write a programm using kinect for inputs. This programm process the data and send the output to a simulated gamepad. This gamepad I can use in fifa.

So I need a driver for a gamepad which I can send inputs from a (c++-)programm.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:44 PM
  • I suppose you could create some kind of virtual input device to emulate keyboard or mouse movements with a Kinect, and maybe control games that way. But for the most part, games need to be written expressly to use the Kinect. Games need to update the screen at least 30 times per second to show smooth motion. It might be difficult to handle Kinect input fast enough to get good control. Also, you might run into trouble with anti-cheating code in some games if you're running non-standard input devices.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:43 PM
  • A virtual input device looks like the best way but also the hardest way... (some interesting project for your developers? ;) )

A friend gave me this interesting link with sendkeys. This will maybe the easiest way. If I need a fast movement the key will press longer time than slow movement.

I will try that next time.

Edit: keybd_event and SendInput doesn't work. Only with notepad ... Anyone other ideas?
    Friday, July 22, 2011 10:13 AM
  • I used sendkeys and got it to work with many apps. I just can't figure out what would be best for mouse emulation.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hello ,

I think what you want is similar of an app I am currently working on :) . I create an app that converts the return value of the pose/gesture generate by my other app (PoseAndGestureGenerator) to keyboard/mouse events.

How to use

1.       Download PoseAndGestureGenerator(http://bethecontroller.com/BTCdownloads/PoseAndGestureGeneratorV1a.exe)

2.       Download BeTheController App (http://bethecontroller.com/BTCdownloads/BeTheController-App.rar)

3.      Generate the poses and gestures you want to track and in the return value field put the key event you want.(a table with the value for special key and mouse key is available in the BeTheController-App.rar)

4.       Save the Poses list as Poses.pbtc and Gestures list as Gestures.gbtc and make sure that are in BeTheController App directory.

5.       Run the BeTheControllerApp.exe

A Guide how to use the PoseAndGestureenerator is available at http://bethecontroller.com/BTCdownloads/BTC%20User%20Manual.pdf

I test it with World of Warcraft and it works fine.

Note. This application (BeTheController-App) is not well test so it may have some bugs :).

To implement the key simulation in c# I use the functions

System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys.SendWait();// key press

[DllImport("user32.dll", SetLastError = true)]

private static extern uint SendInput(uint numInputs, INPUT[] inputs, int size);

// to control the mouse

I know is not 100% of what you want but you can test in an easy and fast way if this functions work with fifa .

Nick

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:56 PM
  • The hardest thing here is not implementing the program/mouseHook/keyboardHook...

The real problem here is to define the concept of the movements that would better suit the action you wanna see in the game.

Nick Hadjiminas gave you the answer for the techinical part. Now you have to define what are the gestures you want =)

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:00 AM