Why am I unable to launch Metro applications on my netbook?

Question

• When I try to launch a Metro application on my Samsung N150 netbook by clicking on an icon on the home screen (for example, "build windows"), the UI simply doesn't do anything, and the application doesn't even seem to try to load. When I create a new Visual Studio project using the default template C# (Application), the designer displays the following error:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80270232

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.NativeMethods.IApplicationActivationManager.ActivateApplication(String appUserModelId, String activationContext, ActivateOptions options, Int32& processId)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Platform.TailoredDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, String hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, FrameworkName targetFramework)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Platform.TailoredDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(FrameworkName frameworkName, IsolationInformation isolationInformation, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(FrameworkName frameworkName, IsolationInformation isolationInformation)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(FrameworkName targetFramework, IsolationInformation isolationInformation, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateDesignerViewInfo(FrameworkName targetFramework, IsolationInformation isolationInformation, IHostSourceItem item, IHostTextEditor editor, CancellationToken cancelToken)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass10.<CreateDesigner>b__f()

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

and is unable to preview the XAML

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:44 AM

Answers

• There seems to be a lot of people with this problem. Microsoft has said that Metro apps do not work in screen resolutions smaller than 1024x768, which is what your netbook has.

I hope this helps,

Joshua

• Marked as answer by IDWMaster Friday, September 16, 2011 1:28 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:57 AM
  • OK. Thanks! I changed my screen resolution, and that fixed the problem!
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:27 AM

All replies

• There seems to be a lot of people with this problem. Microsoft has said that Metro apps do not work in screen resolutions smaller than 1024x768, which is what your netbook has.

I hope this helps,

Joshua

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:57 AM
  • OK. Thanks! I changed my screen resolution, and that fixed the problem!
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:27 AM