Too Many Redirects RRS feed

• Question

• User2008170075 posted
    Hi there, We seem to be having an very intermittent issue where out of nowhere, one (or more) random URLs will result in TOO MANY REDIRECTS and we have to recycle the application pool to resolve. Another URL which uses the same rewrite rule will be working fine, it's as if the rewrite has been cached but become corrupt (or something) resulting in an infinite loop of redirects. All we do is recycle and it's immediately resolved every time. This almost always happens when our site is experiencing high traffic, well high for our site anyway. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Rob
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:19 AM

Answers

• User-176674611 posted

Hi,

Actually, I have never encountered a redirection loop that is intermittent. Could you please post the rule you used here, in this case, we may see the possible causes for the redirection loop causing by the rule. Also I suggest you take use of the failed request tracing feature:

Using Failed Request Tracing to Trace Rewrite Rules
    http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/467/using-failed-request-tracing-to-trace-rewrite-rules/

There will be many many tracing log files generated if it is a redirection loop, you may check the last one which should provide how the rewrite rule works.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:56 AM

All replies

• User-176674611 posted

Hi,

Actually, I have never encountered a redirection loop that is intermittent. Could you please post the rule you used here, in this case, we may see the possible causes for the redirection loop causing by the rule. Also I suggest you take use of the failed request tracing feature:

Using Failed Request Tracing to Trace Rewrite Rules
    http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/467/using-failed-request-tracing-to-trace-rewrite-rules/

There will be many many tracing log files generated if it is a redirection loop, you may check the last one which should provide how the rewrite rule works.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:56 AM
  • User2008170075 posted
    The problem is that it hasn't happened exclusively on one rule. Sometimes it's been only on the home page (which is disastrous), but often it is simply one page somewhere. Keep in mind, while that one URL is suffering the redirect loop, sibling pages using the exact same rule work fine. I'm fully aware that without the ability to reproduce or provide logs to examine, it makes this issue virtually impossible to resolve...which is how we've felt about it. I will see if I can determine an effective FRT rule to put in place which can isolate these instances, but sometimes it can be a month or more before this occurs, making it quite the needle in the haystack; however after this was happening, we've setup an app pool recycle every day, so it no longer happens much at all. I will try to find something to provide here for analysis, but I was mostly curious if anyone else had experienced the issue. To be honest, I cannot definitively state that it is the rewrite module, but it seems the most likely culprit at this point as nothing was different from our move to 2008 except changing from the ISAPIReWrite software package to the IIS URL Rewrite extension. Thank you for responding, I'll see what I can provide, but it may be weeks or more down the road.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:26 AM
  • User-521322579 posted
    Hi CapersL, Any luck in resolving this issue? Experiencing the same issue.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 7:32 AM
  • User2008170075 posted

Nothing directly. We just setup a recycle rule and have an external provider monitoring the site's home page, sending out text messages if response isn't 200. But that only helps on the home page.

It's so very random that there's really no way to know if it's happening, but since it only seems to affect a single URL, as long as it's not the homepage, the impact is minimal. With the recycling, we haven't noticed it...but we wouldn't really know if it was happening on just one of thousands of URLs unless someone reported it (which has happened prior to my reporting this).

Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:34 PM