Disable edgeswipe gesture on bottom edge to receive PointerMoved event

Question

• Is there any posibility to disable edgeswipe gesture on bottom edge in game application which doesn't use the AppBar?
    In my scenario I've got draggable elements which are near bottom edge. When I start drag very close to that edge app
    doesn't receive PointerMoved event. I belive this would be very annoying for users.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 10:38 AM

Answers

• Hi M,

No.  Part of the Metro style principles is to respect the edges.  You should keep your interactions away from these edges.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, I will involve more experts to investigate it.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Hi M,

No.  Part of the Metro style principles is to respect the edges.  You should keep your interactions away from these edges.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:49 PM
  • For me this principle in that case looks like a bug, which reduce app's active area on touch devices.
    I understand reasons for respecting other 3 edges, because they give clear visual feedback for the user.
    When application doesn't have AppBar nothing happens and user doesn't know why he can't perform certain operations.
    (eg try cut fruits in popular game on Store, but start drag near bottom edge)

You should decide for one of these solutions:
    - all apps should have AppBar with predefinied options,
    - (preffered solution) when app doesn't have AppBar, system doesn't eat pointer events near that edge.

As a semi-solution I will draw some kind of useless bar at the bottom of my app (but honestly I hope you understand my concerns).

Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:00 PM