none
Virtual PC on Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

First: sorry if my post does not really fit into this category, I didn't find a better one. If there's a more appropriate category/forum, please move my post there, thx.

I just installed Windows 7 and it's running good (was using windows XP before).

Now I wanted to install Virtual PC to run another virtual Windows XP machine. On my old Windows XP, it was no problem to run that Virtual Windows XP machine (using Virtual PC 2007). But on Windows 7, I cannot run my virtual machine, because the new Virtual PC of Windows 7 tells me, that my CPU does not support Hardware Virtualization. (That is right, I tested it with Intel's CPU info tool.) And the old Virtual PC 2007 does not run on Windows 7.

Now that is really bad! I can run my virtual machine on the old Windows XP, but I cannot run it on the new Windows 7, I just updated to?? :-(

Why can't I simply run the old Virtual PC 2007 and run my Windows XP like before? That's really a bit annoying! ... and to access my data inside the virtual pc, i would have to reinstall xp probably.

Thanks,
    Felix
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 7:02 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 and Virtual PC use the Hardware Assisted CPU like Intel's VT. There is no way to run the new Virtual PC without that.

That being said I'm not sure if it would be possible to install the old Virtual PC on a Windows 7 PC, I never have tried that.

~Jason
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Hmm, I found a good solution for my problem.  As Microsoft does not offer a solution for me, I tried the free VirtualBox. It's running on Windows 7, it can open and run the MS Virtual PC machines without any problems and without Hardware Assisted CPUs.

For me, it's very stable and performant, it's even faster when saving the current machine state to disk.
    Well, it's a pitty that there's no such solution from Microsoft :-/

Thanks,
    Felix
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:14 PM
  • Actually there is a way to run virtual pc 2007 on windows 7 according to some forum posts.  ( sorry, don't quite remember the key word used to find them.

VPC 2007 VT assist is optional like VirtualBox.

however it is a bit convoluted and does not give you USB device access like windows virtual pc and virtualbox

Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:04 AM