SD Card slot disabled on Windows Phone 10 RRS feed

• Question

• After enrolling a Windows Phone 10 device (Insider preview Build# 10586), I get a prompt on device:

"SD card slot disabled

You can’t use SD cards on your phone because of a server policy."

The SD slot is greyed out at this point.

This occurs even though I am not pushing any restriction policy through the use of Policy CSP nodePolicy/Config/System/AllowStorageCard to device, which indicates that the default value (1 (default) – Allow a storage card) should be set on device.

As an alternative, I tried pushing the PolicyManager CSP node PolicyManager/My/System/AllowStorageCard to device with value as 1. In this case too the same issue occurs.

I observed that after restarting the device, the SD card seems to be re-enabled. Also note that Windows Phone 8.x are not affected. The issue is only with Windows Phone 10.

Could you help identify what is the root cause of this issue and if there is a workaround or fix available?

• Edited by Shyam Gopi Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:41 AM

Answers

• In our case the disabling of SD card was happening due to the Inventory policy and not the restrictions policy through Policy CSP.

We were using the deprecated Storage CSP to collect inventory for SD card status. Doing a Get action on Storage/Disable node was disabling SD card on WinPhone 10 device. After using the new Policy CSP to collect SD card status we are no longer facing this issue. Although a get action should not be causing such behaviour even while using a deprecated CSP.

• Marked as answer by Shyam Gopi Saturday, January 30, 2016 1:42 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2016 1:39 PM

All replies

• We have got the same problem with the following Property (for now)

AboveLock/AllowActionCenterNotifications within policycsp.

Here it is even worse. We have to unenroll from device management, that this restrictrion is disbled. Restart of device does not help.

Build 10586.63.

In Addition the restrictions

- AllowVPNOverCellular

- AllowVPNRoamingOverCellular

do not do anything.

I´m currently testing the deprecated PolicyManager for these settings but i have not great hope for it after reading your question

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:25 AM
  • In our case the disabling of SD card was happening due to the Inventory policy and not the restrictions policy through Policy CSP.

We were using the deprecated Storage CSP to collect inventory for SD card status. Doing a Get action on Storage/Disable node was disabling SD card on WinPhone 10 device. After using the new Policy CSP to collect SD card status we are no longer facing this issue. Although a get action should not be causing such behaviour even while using a deprecated CSP.

• Marked as answer by Shyam Gopi Saturday, January 30, 2016 1:42 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2016 1:39 PM