none
migrating project files VS2008 > VS2015

Question

• I recently upgraded to VS 2015 from VS 2008.

It seems I have lots to learn about project files!(am I in the right forum?)

when I open .vcproj file I get about 20 errors related to (likely) mismatched items on property sheet

(since I cannot load the project, I cannot access/correct the property sheets)

when I open .sln file I get fewer errors but still cannot get the project into the IDE

.dsp file >?

what is the difference between these files?

I'd appreciate any help you can offer!

Mike

Monday, November 28, 2016 10:25 PM

All replies

• Hi spywriter,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> I recently upgraded to VS 2015 from VS 2008.

Usually, we recommend customer not directly upgrade projects to VS 2015, since there are many changes or updates in VS from 2008 to 2015, you can try to upgrade projects to VS 2010 firstly: How to: Upgrade Projects Created in Earlier Versions of Visual Studio, then upgrade to VS 2013 or 2015: Porting, Migrating, and Upgrading Visual Studio Projects. It can help us to solve the incompatible issue once it found one by one step.

When you open .vcproj file, have you be prompted to update the project? If the project (.vcproj) was created in a version of Visual Studio that's older than Visual Studio 2010, you must update the project, we can know it from here: How to: Upgrade Visual C++ Projects to Visual Studio 2015

If your current solution includes several projects, you can try to backup it then migrates each project one by one to make sure every project has upgrade successfully then create a new blank solution to add those projects again.

If you still failed, could you please provide the detail information about your projects and the detail error message that popups, that can help us to understand your issue and solve it, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Thanks Sara,

In another forum ( setup and installing) I was advised to upgrade directly from 2008 to 2015, I have no doubt you are correct in suggesting going to VS2010 first, but I had no means of knowing this was the correct thing to do. Now I do know.

Another thing, I had a complete wipe out of my backup HD, so the only source files I had were ones on my desktop & laptop. The newest versions I have on the desktop are dated Dec 2015 and on the laptop, march 2016.

When I tried to load my project into VS2015, certain changes were made that made it impossible (is this true?) to load in 2008, so I guess my November 2016 source files were lost.

Here's my plan:

Make a copy of my entire VS directory on a USB drive, keep it safe. This project is not one that has been frequently modified, so source files from March will not be hugely different from the most recent

migrate from 2008 to 2010, then 2010 to 2015

While I await your comments, I will follow the links you have provided, hoping to understand the process better. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:17 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for your update.

>>When I tried to load my project into VS2015, certain changes were made that made it impossible (is this true?) to load in 2008, so I guess my November 2016 source files were lost.

It looks like reasonable, since some parts cannot compatibility with or used in VS, to it auto made certain changes into your project to matches the VS 2015, if you directly open it in VS 2008, it should has issue, those new updates also cannot used in VS 2008.

Your plan sounds good, you should backup the entire solution/project firstly, in case we need to roll back, then follow those upgrade documents to immigrate those projects one by one, there are some troubleshot tips like this: How to: Troubleshoot Unsuccessful Visual Studio Project Upgrades once you meet any upgrade issues.

If you meet more than one upgrade issue in different project in the future, I recommend you create the separate thread for each project, that can help us to focus on and research each project, and it also convenience for us to trace your issue, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thanks for your input, but I'm actually wondering if I should just go back to VS 2008. Is that possible? I don't really need anything more sophisticated than 2008, and my days of actively starting new projects are over. I'm just a bit intimidated by the amount of work involved to go to 2010, then 2015. I've already posted this question to another forum (installation of VS 2015)

I wonder particularly about transferring an ISO of 2008 from another computer.

Would this work?

Thanks again,

Mike.

Sunday, December 18, 2016 5:23 PM
  • Mike,

Something brings me in doubt. You ask first about the differences between a vcproj file and a sln file. 

The difference is simple. The first one is a project file the second a solution. In Visual Studio you can have many kind of projects in one solution. It seems to me that you have only one project in your solution. 

The solution file is just a text file. It embeds the project files so it is strange that you get less errors with the sln file. 

Therefore start with opening the sln file with a text editor and look what paths are used. 

The sln file is an XML file which you can also open with a texteditor

Success
    Cor

Sunday, December 18, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for your update.

Now I have a little confuse, what's your current question?

>>I wonder particularly about transferring an ISO of 2008 from another computer.

It looks like the VS 2008 installation issue, please redirect to the VS setup and installation forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vssetup and you will get a more professional support.

>>I'm actually wondering if I should just go back to VS 2008. Is that possible?

Refer to your previous reply, it seems you already backup the solution before the migrate process. Did you meet issues when you reload that solution using the VS 2008 or use the solution that already be migrated? The migrated solution not suitable for VS 2008, since it already adjusted some changes to meet the VS 2010 or 2015.

If I have any misunderstand, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 19, 2016 8:27 AM