none
OneNote 2016 Integration with Windows Search Service broken after Windows 10 Creators update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

after the the Windows 10 Creators update all OneNote 2016 (desktop) add-ins which use the search functions from the OneNote COM API are broken. The methods FindMeta and FIndPages complete without error, but come back without any results. As far as I remember these methods depend on the Windows Search Service. Inspecting the Windows 'Application' event log reveals this error:

"The protocol handler OneIndex16 cannot be loaded. Error description: (HRESULT : 0x800700c1). "

I've tried to repair Office, and rebuilt the search index. However the search methods remain broken. Any insights are very much welcome.

Peter

Friday, May 19, 2017 6:18 PM

Answers

• Problem solved. Any without installing my special "DLL fixer" software :) It's not related to Creators update other than in approximate timing.

As far as I can see, this is an issue facing (at least) all users of Click2Run O365 32-bit OneNote since around April and is readily reproducible. Maybe we're a small community of people with large amounts of data in OneNote, and I guess OneNote fails quite gracefully by slowly searching through files when indexing is broken.

I've posted the solution over on the Microsoft communities forum  as it's probably a bit more generally accessible there.

• Proposed as answer by M0bley Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:48 PM
    • Edited by M0bley Friday, July 7, 2017 3:32 PM accuracy
    • Marked as answer by WetHat Friday, August 25, 2017 1:08 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:47 PM
  • Peter et al ...

I was able to workaround it by reinstalling Office 2016 64-bit version. See my update here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-2016-index-location-unavailable-search/d78e7999-511f-4f78-b0ad-3d2711f08435?rtAction=1496255829691

• Marked as answer by WetHat Friday, August 25, 2017 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 2:40 AM

All replies

• Hello Peter,

Could you reproduce the issue in other computers?

If you disable your add-ins and use built-in search function, would it return empty result?

If you uninstall the windows update, would the issue be fixed?

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 22, 2017 2:32 AM
  • To add another data point to this discussion, I have a problem where the search index does not work at all, even with the built-in search, since I installed the creator's update. I also see an error with the oneindex16 protocol handler, in the following place: Go to "Indexing Options" in Windows, then "Modify" and hover over the oneindex://... location. I see a tooltip: "This location is currently unavailable."

Peter, do you see the same? I also tried rebuilding the search index and stuff, with no result.

I started a discussion over at the MS Community. I can't post the link here because of MS's very misguided anti-spam policies. The title is "OneNote 2016: Index location unavailable / search very slow".

Do you developers have any idea what this oneindex16 thing is? Where can I learn more about it?

Best, Steffen

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 9:30 AM
  • The problem occurs on Windows 8.1 as well, not just Windows 10.  It started around the same time as the creators update for Windows 10 but I don't think it's related.  I have multiple windows 10 and windows 8.1 PCs.  The problem exists on all of them:  One note search is very slow (it's obvious the index is not used and it's doing a full text search through all notebooks -- it used to be instant).  And in control panel under Indexing Options/modify, the entry oneindex16://... displays "The location is currently unavailable" when you hover the mouse over it.  THIS EXISTS ON ALL PCS RUNNING OFFICE 2016 on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

peterhoa

• Edited by peterhoa Saturday, June 3, 2017 8:38 PM
    Saturday, June 3, 2017 8:36 PM
  • Peter et al ...

I was able to workaround it by reinstalling Office 2016 64-bit version. See my update here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-2016-index-location-unavailable-search/d78e7999-511f-4f78-b0ad-3d2711f08435?rtAction=1496255829691

• Marked as answer by WetHat Friday, August 25, 2017 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Working around it by installing Office 64-bit is not a solution.  I require Office 32-bit for a variety of reasons as do millions of other users.  This is a problem that affects, as far as I can tell, all users of OneNote. Many with small OneNote files  don't realize they have the problem as search still works, just slowly.  But it's a huge problem for those of us who have large onenote files. 

Microsoft needs to acknowledge the problem (their silence on this issue is a disgrace) and then fix it.  

peterhoa

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:45 PM
  • Problem solved. Any without installing my special "DLL fixer" software :) It's not related to Creators update other than in approximate timing.

As far as I can see, this is an issue facing (at least) all users of Click2Run O365 32-bit OneNote since around April and is readily reproducible. Maybe we're a small community of people with large amounts of data in OneNote, and I guess OneNote fails quite gracefully by slowly searching through files when indexing is broken.

I've posted the solution over on the Microsoft communities forum  as it's probably a bit more generally accessible there.

• Proposed as answer by M0bley Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:48 PM
    • Edited by M0bley Friday, July 7, 2017 3:32 PM accuracy
    • Marked as answer by WetHat Friday, August 25, 2017 1:08 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:47 PM