C# oleDBDataAdapter and results that contain a Dash (-) RRS feed

• Question

• User-433253235 posted

I am running a query on an Access 2000 database from my C# code.  Whenever any part of my results contain a dash (-) then my adapater will not fill and will just show no rows.  So what I did was use the Replace function in the Access Query.  Of course once I did this then I received an error from ASP, because the Jet engine does not know what to do with Replace. 

So my question is how do I get this data to fill my adapater if it sometimes contains a dash, but I can't use the Replace function in the Access query?  My current C# code is below.  Thanks for your help. 

DataSet myDataSet1 = new DataSet();

OleDbConnection con = new OleDbConnection();
    string constring = @"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + myDB.ToString();
    con.ConnectionString = constring;
    con.Open();

OleDbDataAdapter myAdapter = new OleDbDataAdapter("myquery", con);
    myAdapter.SelectCommand.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;
    myAdapter.SelectCommand.Parameters.Add("mydate", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = myDateToQuery;
    myAdapter.Fill(myDataSet1);

Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:48 PM

Answers

• User-1199946673 posted

Yes the second one will not work, because of the replace function! But the first one might run, but most likely it will return 0 records! You're using the Like operator, and the* as the wildcard character. This will work in Access, but in Jet, the wildcard charater is % (like in SQL SERVER).

In Jet

[description] Like "*something else*"

is the same as

[description] = "*something else*"

Instead, use

[description] Like "%something else%"

Also I se you're using

[date_entered] like [mydate]

note that the like operator only works for strings, not for datevalues so if it is a date fields this will not work either. So I think you need to modify your SQL statement first before jumping to conclusion that moght nit be the case!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:21 PM

All replies

• User-1199946673 posted

Whenever any part of my results contain a dash (-) then my adapater will not fill and will just show no rows.

I don't understand what you mean by this?

So what I did was use the Replace function in the Access Query.  Of course once I did this then I received an error from ASP, because the Jet engine does not know what to do with Replace.

That's correct If I try to follow you, I think you mean that you a column with datatype text (or memo), and it value contain a dash?

Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:01 PM
  • User-433253235 posted

I don't understand what you mean by this?

Meaning that whenever my resulting data does not contain a dash my adapter fills properly.  But if the resulting data contains a dash then my adapater treats it as if there was no data returned.

That's correct If I try to follow you, I think you mean that you a column with datatype text (or memo), and it value contain a dash?

Yes.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:42 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Can you show the SQL of "myquery"? 

Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:46 PM
  • User-433253235 posted

Can you show the SQL of "myquery"? 

This is what I currently have:

SELECT format([this date],'mmddyyyy')+"|"+[Btc] & "|" & [Type] & "|" [Description]  & "|" & [Amount] AS Expr1, [that date]
    FROM myTable
    WHERE [type]="something" And [description] like "*something else*" and [date_entered] like [mydate]
    ORDER BY [that date]

I tried this and it works fine directly from Access, but gives me an error from C# when trying to run it, because the Jet engine does not understand Replace:

SELECT format([this date],'mmddyyyy')+"|"+[Btc] & "|" & [Type] & "|" Replace([Description], "-", " ")  & "|" & [Amount] AS Expr1, [that date]
    FROM myTable
    WHERE [type]="something" And [description] like "*something else*" and [date_entered] like [mydate]
    ORDER BY [that date]

Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:35 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Yes the second one will not work, because of the replace function! But the first one might run, but most likely it will return 0 records! You're using the Like operator, and the* as the wildcard character. This will work in Access, but in Jet, the wildcard charater is % (like in SQL SERVER).

In Jet

is the same as

Instead, use

Also I se you're using

note that the like operator only works for strings, not for datevalues so if it is a date fields this will not work either. So I think you need to modify your SQL statement first before jumping to conclusion that moght nit be the case!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:21 PM
  • User-433253235 posted

In Jet

is the same as

Instead, use

Also I se you're using

The date part works totally fine.  But you were right on the money with the * and %.  Once I changed it to percent I was able to return data.  Thank you very much for your help. 

Friday, April 30, 2010 9:28 AM