none
RDLC Refresh messing up non-CLS-Compliant fields RRS feed

• Question

• We have stored procedures written long ago with field names like [Ave Date].  These worked in VS2005 format.  When we converted our reports to VS2015 format all went well that the dataset within the RDLC file had alias definitions with the underscore so the field would look like "Ave_Date".

If we then update the stored procedure and update the external dataset then try to refresh the dataset within the Ctl-Alt-D menu the fields are all of the form "Ave Date".  This format fails two ways.  First it is not CLS-Comliant (the error message) and they don't match the field names in the actual report which are in the "Ave_Date" format.

This looks like a bug in the refresh dataset function.

We are very concerned that we will have a problem with many reports and have a massive conversion to do.

Any help will be appreciated.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:00 PM

All replies

• This is one of many reason to not have spaces in field names but instead use AveDate then when reading from the database use [Ave Date} AS Ave_Date or similar alias.

Seem that in your case what is happening is the underlying code is trying to help you (and it's doing the opposite). 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:21 PM
  • Yes this would solve the issue but...  The problem is making changes like this would affect many reports and cause a huge effort to retest all these reports.  What I was hoping for was a way not to have to change all the fields in all the reports.

I don't understand how Microsoft understood this issue when we convert from old format to new format but then ignored it when trying to refresh the dataset.

:) 

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 2:06 PM
  • I have been working with this a bit more and discovered that indeed the conversion to new RDLC format does handle [Ave Hd Days] format.  ALso, when I go back to add a new field, only the new field must be CLS Compliant.  The existing Aliases seem to stay in place when I do a Refresh of the dataset.  This is much less of an issue since I don't have to go back and convert the Views/StoredProcedures and all my older reports to the new Field CLS Compliance.

Thanks, this issue can be closed.

Friday, July 6, 2018 4:48 PM