none
Unable to connect to any datasource using Visual Studio 2013 Premium and Windows 10 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded to windows 10 professional and now when I attempt to add a new data connection to my project using either the EF Power Tools reverse engineer code first or the add new data source option from Project menu item, the system does not show any databases in the connection dialog box.  I have (localdb), SQLExpress, and SQL Server 2014 with BI available and running however none of these are showing up.

In SQL server Object explorer I can navigate through these database engines and select tables to view however and the existing solutions still work however I CANNOT ADD A NEW ADO DATA SOURCE or use the EF reverse to Code first option Power tools option.

This is a big problem and I am unsure of what to do to resolve the issue. The servers are all available and running as verified with SQL configuration manager and SQL server management tool.

Thank you,

Andy

Saturday, August 1, 2015 12:36 AM

All replies

• Hello Andy,

This is strange because according to your description, I do:

1.Create a project in windows 8.1 with VS2013 and move it to windows 10 machine(current, I am not able to upgrade my windows 8.1 machine), however, it could work as add a database or use the EF reverse to Code first option Power tools option.

2.Create a new project in windows 10 and VS2013, and do similar things above, and it still could do as add a database or use the EF reverse to Code first option Power tools option.

So I wonder this could be an environment problem, and please try:

1.If you are running a legacy project, then to create a new project to see if works

2.Repaire your Visual Studio

3.Reinstall the EF reverse to Code first option Power tools

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 3, 2015 1:57 AM
  • I see developers are having some issues with Windows 10.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 5:45 PM
  • We are unable to open DBML files on visual studio 2013 anymore once we upgraded to windows 10.

Please HELP!

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 3:16 PM
  • We are unable to open DBML files on visual studio 2013 anymore once we upgraded to windows 10.

Please HELP!

I am sure they have a Win 10 forum by now.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w8itprogeneral

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 5:28 PM
  • I have run the repair on my visual studio installation and still no joy. I need some resolution with this pretty fast as it is impairing me from working with existing databases required for my projects.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 5:41 AM
  • I tried running visual studio in compatibility view for windows 8, crashed with "No Pointer" message, and no page will open "Invalid GUID" message is given

this is really frustrating that all development is stopped because now the DBML page is hanging forever.

there is one alternative I did not try yet, but saving for last.

Go to Settings-> Update and Security->Recovery-> Go back to Windows 8.1

if you go down that path, let me know what happens please

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:46 AM
  • I dont know if this helps, but I compared memory usage of Visual studio 2013 of windows 8 vs windows 10.

in windows 8, VS 2013 I had readings of about 800 MB + of RAM

In windows 10, it seems VS2013 is being put down to a measly 300 + MB and can't go beyond that

is it the same case at your end?

• Edited by Assaad1 Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:10 AM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:09 AM
  • Okay so I have done all three steps you listed and I am still unable to connect to any data source. Current setup I am running is windows 10 with Visual Studio Premium 2013 Update 5. What can I do next?
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:12 PM
  • What can I do next?

Well in the past,  no one went to a new O/S out the gate to avoid the issues you are having. One would wait for at least 6 months or more after a new release of an O/S and let the O/S settle in what updates or whatnot before one went to the new O/S.  I suggest that you back away from Win 10 for the time being.   You also have the ability to contact MS directly for paid support.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:27 PM
  • That is kind of a bs response. "Don't upgrade to the new product since who knows......" Why should I have to contact MS for paid support over the enterprise subscription I have with them because things stopped working with their new OS? Also, let's be honest and admit that Windows 8 was a stepping stone.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:28 PM
  • That is kind of a bs response. "Don't upgrade to the new product since who knows......" Why should I have to contact MS for paid support over the enterprise subscription I have with them because things stopped working with their new OS? Also, let's be honest and admit that Windows 8 was a stepping stone.

I guess you have not programmed against Win 95 and up through all the O/S(s) to know any better. It's your problem, your bed you made, and you are the one that has to lay down in bed.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:02 PM