none
SQL Server Table with huge data & Columns and not all the columns are unused.

Question

• Hi,

We have a table which is of a huge size 300+GB and it is growing at a 25Gb per month. We have identified that there are columns which are not being used.  Is it possible to do below option

Do a partition based on column and then implement compression based on the unused columns.

Let me know if it is doable and also if possible any examples

thanks

Vamc435

vamshi

Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• First of all do not raise duplicate threads, I have deleted the other one.  What do you mean by column not being  used, why not remove the columns

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:26 PM
  • one way is to define them as sparse columns if they're going to be sparingly used.

https://visakhm.blogspot.com/2010/03/sparse-columns-and-column-sets-in-sql.html

If they're not supposed to be not used at all, then remove them from the table itself

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:11 PM
  • We get these tables from external source and gets replicated(transactional replication) to different other systems. We wanted to have a full copy from external source.

External------> A(Our servers)------------>B,C

about  letters are refferred as servers

I know we can use a filter condition in replication to transfer the data and columns for that i need to do re-initiliaze. Along with that i want to list out a plan if i can use partitioning on the unused columns and compression feature

Thanks

Vamshi

vamshi

Friday, October 19, 2018 6:39 PM
  • You can vertically filter your articles so that only a subset of the columns go to subscribers.

Here is an example of this.

Monday, October 22, 2018 2:11 PM
  • Thank you.

vamshi

Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:58 PM