Search Service offline - ERROR in SSP RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have created an SSP for my organiszation, but I am not able to see the search settings page in Central admin.

I get an error:

The search service is currently offline. Visit the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progress.

Initially I thought this might be because of the Indexer movement, but then even after one week the same error page was displayed.

My search service is enabled and that is clear from services running on the Farm page. I have tried creating some 4 SSPs, But ended up with the same error message.

where could I have gone wrong?.. Any suggestions??..

Thanks in advance.

Ravi Kumar,

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:32 AM

Answers

• I had same issue and i did follwoing steps:

Restart "Office SharePoint Server Search" service on your Search server:

• Start --> All Programs --> Admin Tools --> Service
    • Restart "Office SharePoint Server Search" service

it's work for me, good luck

~Jimmy

Jim Patel
    • Proposed as answer by MistralGagne Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 21, 2010 4:00 AM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 12:29 AM

All replies

• Proxy Detection may be causing your issue.  Try changing it to see if that resolves it?

In the web.config for the SSP site, change the proxy value to false.

<defaultProxy>
          <proxy autoDetect="false" /> 
     </defaultProxy>

-------------------------------------
    Dan Lewis
    http://weblogs.asp.net/danlewis

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:37 PM
  •  

In you SSP Properties, Not in the SSP Admin Site (Go to Shared Service Providers, click on the drop down menu for you SSP and select Properties)  Check to make sure you have an Index Server specified for that SSP.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Have you checked Event Viewer and the ULS logs(12\logs)?  I bet there are some real error messages to be read.

Shane - SharePoint Consulting

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:49 PM
  • This is the complete error message I see when callstack is enabled on the SSP website:

The search service is currently offline. Visit the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progress.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Search.Admin.Pages.SearchAdminPageBase.ErrorHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Search.Admin.Pages.SearchSSPAdminPageBase.OnError(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP._layouts_searchsspsettings_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\eb406d3c\cd8b9c0e\App_Web_searchsspsettings.aspx.2a428413.w6qugknq.0.cs:line 0
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Note: I have changed the defaultproxy values and also checked the indexer .... everything is fine..

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:53 AM
  • I see two more errors in the Eventvwr:

1)     Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Office SharePoint Server
    Event Category: Office Server Shared Services
    Event ID: 7078
    Date:  date

Time:  time

User:  N/A
    Computer: Compname

Description:
    Job 'Distribution List Import Job' failed. It will be re-tried again in 60 second(s).

Reason: Failed to obtain crawl status.

Techinal Details:
    Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileException: Failed to obtain crawl status.
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.SRPSite.IsImportInProgress(String contentSourceName)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileConfigManager.IsProfileImportInProgress()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileConfigManager.IsImportInProgress()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.DLImportJob.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.JobHandler.Execute(Object state, Boolean timedOut)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

2)   Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Office SharePoint Server
    Event Category: Publishing Cache
    Event ID: 6144
    Date:  date

Time:  time

User:  N/A
    Computer: Compname

Description:
    BlobCache initialized with values location:'C:\blobCache\1167295291\', path:'\.(gif|jpg|png|css|js)$', InstanceID:'1167295291', maxSize:'10737418240', enabled:'False', changeCheckInterval:'5', policyCheckInterval:'60'

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

anything related to this?. I am not even able to see the logs collected in 12hive + logs folder..

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:04 AM
  •  

I dont know why, but it doesn't even write the error logs in the 12 - Logs folder.

I have enabled verbose to check whether I can get more information about the error, but looks like there is some problem in writing the errors to the Logs folder. No logs are written to 12 - Logs folder...

My tracing service and Timer services are running up.. Do I need to check anything else??

Can anyone help me out Sad

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

I am able to see the error logs after changing the folder location.

Now I could see error logs in the folder. but how do I understand them.. really a difficult task ..

I have also enabled Verbose.. Can any one tell me what and where should I check??

Friday, June 20, 2008 9:58 AM
  • Any update??

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:26 AM
  • Hey Cowboy,

I've inherited a MOSS Enterprise farm and I'm experiencing this same issue.  To make sure I'm following your instructions properly:

1. Open CA
    2. Click the "Shared Services Administration" located in the Quick Launch area on the left.  (Not the name of the Shared Services Provider, which is immediately below. 
    3. This Opens the "Manage this Farm's Shared Services", and the in the main section of the window is the name of the Shared Services Provider, (i.e. SharedServices1).
    4. Click the down arrow and select "Edit Properties"
    5. Look for the section with the Index Server Specified.

My index server is listed (there is only one in my farm) but it is Grayed out.  I dont' have a test environment to compare this with...(can someone compare this with theirs?)

Thanks,

JC

Friday, July 18, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Ravi,

Did you ever hear back from anyone on this?  What did you do to resolve it?  Do you have Office SharePoint Server Search and Windows SharePoint Services Search both running?

Thanks,

JC

Friday, July 18, 2008 10:32 PM
  • Woe is me... Now have the dreaded 6482 blues too. 

All was well until I set up a re-crawl of my content now I can no longer get to my Search Administration page.  My farm has been working fine for 1 1/2 years.  Now it is starting to deteriorate.

I have tried the steps outlined above but they are of no use...

1 Event ID:   6482  
    2 Date:       2/20/2009  
    3 Time:       11:18:54 AM  
    4 User:       N/A  
    5 Computer:   MyServer  
    6 Description:  
    7 Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (dc5c92e3-a385-4e1d-9f0b-e7febedb9b6b).  
    9 Reason: Object 3d9486ee-becb-4d8e-9920-31e2e3dac807 not found.  
    11 Techinal Support Details:  
    12 System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: Object 3d9486ee-becb-4d8e-9920-31e2e3dac807 not found.  
    13    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.get_App()  
    14    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()  
    15    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)  
    17 For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. 

Friday, February 20, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Moving to the Search forum
    WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wss.asaris.de/sites/walsh/Lists/WSSv3%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:33 AM
  • This problem seems to be running rampant lately.  I have personally experienced it with two seperate clients since the beginning of the year and I have colleagues that have ran into it as well.  One client (as recommended by Microsoft), created a new SSP and had to reconfigure all search settings.  Another client, got away with stopping the Search Service through Central Admin and reconfigured search to use a new database (again having to reconfigure all search settings).  Although this fixes the problem, it is certainly not an acceptable solution.  We really need some guidance from Microsoft on this.

Thanks,
    Corey
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:14 PM
  • I have the same issue on my side. I happend after I changed the farmcredentials with stsadm. Although I've given the new user correct permissions, it still wasn't fixed.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Anyone found any resolution for the issue, we are facing the same issue in our prod environment.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 7:25 PM
  • Any updates on this please?

we are also experincing same problem

The serach is offline now

on the event viewer i can see the following error message

Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (e3cb4032-0878-416d-83f8-38e7deb8eb9a).
    Reason: Object 9af56e9a-d034-40d4-b071-2812052c0eb0 not found.
    Techinal Support Details:
    System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: Object 9af56e9a-d034-40d4-b071-2812052c0eb0 not found.
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.get_App()
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.SetUsersPermittedToQuery(String[] userNames, Boolean force)
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at 

any advise or help is much appreciated.

I am planning to apply  the hotfix @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958615/

but not sure whether it will cure

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Andrew Smith1,

Did the hotfix kb958615 resolve the issue?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:10 PM
  • It just happened again, 8 months later.  I don't remember what we did to fix last time :(
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:39 PM
  • webguy 7,

Do you see 10036 Gatherer errors in your event log?
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Hi Helena,

I am pleased to announce a reboot of our WFE corrected the condition.
    All is well,

Thanks

Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:32 PM
  • That's a little scary.  I had most of the errors listed above, so let me just put my resolution out here, and maybe it will help someone else.

The hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/946517 did get rid of the errors its article describes.
    To get rid of the 10036 Gatherer errors, I traced down the permissions issues described in them to give the sharepoint search account dbo permissions on the SSP and search databases.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:42 PM
  • I had same issue and i did follwoing steps:

it's work for me, good luck

~Jimmy

Jim Patel
    • Proposed as answer by MistralGagne Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 21, 2010 4:00 AM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 12:29 AM
  • Restart "Office SharePoint Server Search" service on your Search server:

Indeed it worked for me too and that helped me to solve the error:

"The search service is currently offline. Visit the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progress"

In C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\bin  I typed: 
    psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait

I had a Shared Service Provider without applications (because I deleted applications) in it. So I deleted this provider.

And then 

And then it worked :)

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 21, 2010 4:01 AM don't use full quote.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:23 PM
  • This solution worked. I had the same error. "The search service is currently offline. Visit the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progress".

1. Enable the Office sharepoint Search service from the Central Administration

2. Restarted the Office SharePoint Server Search" service on the search server:

Thanks

Asma

Asma
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:42 AM