PRISM Interoperation RRS feed

• Question

• We are using the following setup:

Developers

Visual Studio 2010 Professional with PRISM 4

Designers

Expression Blend 4 with SP 1

When we try opening the Developer XAML with references to PRISM, Expression Blend says that the XAML is invalid.

Should we register the PRISM libraries in the Designer machines? The batch file seems to need Visual Studio installed?

What are we missing here?

Should we install Visual Studio 2010 in the Designer machines too?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:22 PM

All replies

• Are the referenced assemblies (prism libraries) not on the designer machines at all? Blend will need to be able to find the assemblies just like VS does.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Yes, the referenced assemblies are in the Designer machine.

The Designer opens a project which was built and running in the Developer machine.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Hmm, can you be more specific about the error message? Can you build/run the project on the designer machine?
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:55 PM
  • One of the error messages is:

The name RegionManager does not exist in the namespace http://www.codeplex.com/CompositeWPF

Please find below the snapshot of the error:

http://cid-367c25322257cfda.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Picture%209.png

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:09 PM
  • If you expand the references section in the project panel, are there any warning icons by any of the assemblies?

Another possible thing to try to eliminate variables, from a command prompt, msbuild yourfilename.sln and see if that succeeds.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:19 PM
  • There are no missing references or warning icons in Developer and Designer machines.

The Designers are working with a Parallels Desktop and using a network folder to access the code.

I now see an error message which says that it could NOT resolve the reference to the Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation even though the Reference in the Designer Machine does not have any warning icon and the path is right.

I even checked the length of the path and it is less that 255 characters.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:36 PM
  • This will be the time running msbuild will help diagnose the problem. That is how Blend builds under the covers (as does VS of course).

if it isn't already in your path, you can find msbuild.exe in a path like:

c:\windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v4.0.30319\msbuild.exe

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the support.

I solved the problem with the following steps on the Designer machine:

1. Install .NET 3.5 SP1 (This is needed for PRISM 4)

2. Install PRISM 4

3. Install Visual Studio 2010 Professional Trial Edition (This was needed to register the PRISM 4 Binaries)

4. Once the PRISM Binaries were registered the project was able to build using Blend

Cheers,

Ranjith

PS: If you can tell me ways to reduce these steps I will be thankful as we have more Designers on the project :)

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:26 PM