WSS 3.0 - No Search Results RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I just installed Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.  I created many lists, announcments, contacts and document libraries in the site.  When I try to search for one of these items I don't get any results back.  Is there something I have to turn on?  I search for words in the title or in the body, both don't work.

Can anyone help?

Thank You

-Sam

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:22 PM

Answers

• I figured it out! Damn this was driving me crazy.  The search crawler does not work if the default zone uses Forms authentication.  To resolve this, extend your SharePoint site and create a new "Custom Zone" that uses Windows Authentication.  Read below:

Forms Authentication and the search crawler

If you are planning on using the searching capabilities of SharePoint, then you need to know one major obstacle with Forms authentication. The search crawler can only access zones configured for Windows authentication. If your crawler is pointed at the default zone, and then you change the default zone to use Forms authentication, then your search is going to break. To get around this issue, extend your web application and create a zone that uses Windows authentication, then point the crawler at the new zone. Even though the search is hitting a different zone, the search findings will be available in your Forms authentication zone.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:30 PM

All replies

•  

Ok make sure the "Windows SharePoint Services Search" service is started. Check in Central Administration -->Operations-->Services on Server. Make sure the "Content Access Account" has read rights to all the content in SharePoint (make sure the account is set up as a "reader").

Once this is started go to the Application Management Tab and click on "Content Databases" under SharePoint Web Application Management. Make sure every content database has a Windows SharePoint Services Search Server assigned to it. Make sure the Database Status on this page is set to "Ready".

• Proposed as answer by Ben Lee 101 Monday, November 9, 2009 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:00 PM
  •  

Hi smc750,

Thank you for your response.  I have tried what you suggested and it didn't work.  I get the following message:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No results matching your search were found.

1. Check your spelling. Are the words in your query spelled correctly?
    2. Try using synonyms. Maybe what you're looking for uses slightly different words.
    3. Make your search more general. Try more general terms in place of specific ones.
    4. Try your search in a different scope. Different scopes can have different results.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone please help?  The system is in production and my users are asking me for search functionalty.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:07 AM
  • Same thing here. We have re-built the search database by stopping it from central and starting it again later. We have done this about 10 times. We have even resorted to giving the content access account full admin privledges on the box. Still no results are returned.

Funny this is... I can put in keywords into the keywords text input provided when editing the properties of an image checked into an image library.

The search will come back for keywords that I manually loaded into the keywords field for the image. But this is far from indexing the 20K documents in the site.

We pulled the DB from an older version of Sharepoint and upgraded it to 2007. I just noticed that the full text index is still in the old content DB but it will not open, perhaps I should delete this index. Do you think it will rebuild itself if I do. I suppose it could not hurt anything at this point. Customers will not accept a project without simple search functionality.

Friday, October 19, 2007 4:53 PM
  • Probably need to open up SQL Server Management Studio and peek at the tables in the WSS_Search_XXXXX database.

Look at the dbo.MSSDocProps table there should be a lot of records in there. You should see some of the searchable values in the strVal column. Next check your dbo.MSSCrawlHistory table. You should see a lot of records here also, one should be in here for every five minutes the incremental crawl is occurring under the RequestTime column. If these tables look in order then everything is operational. Not returning results could be either be security trimming (the user you are logged in as does not have access to the records) or the search actually does not return any results based on the value you are entering. Check the event log for any crawling or search errors.

Friday, October 19, 2007 5:30 PM
  • I looked and those tables are setup and there is a ton of data in them. Are you sure that this should make everything operational? What about the fact that the full-text index in the content DB is totally corrupt? I try to look at the properties of the FT index in the content DB and it throws an error.

I find your insight about the security blocking us from seeing search results interesting. We have replaced the built-in provider with a customer provider so that users can login using a PKI certificate (Common Access Card/Smart Card) rather than their user name and password. As a logged in user I have access to all of the content but searches return no results. Could this be due to the replacement of the authentication provider?

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:15 PM
  • The following might help

http://mindsharpblogs.com/ben/archive/2007/10/26/3305.aspx

Hth,

Ben Curry, CISSP, SharePoint Server MVP

http://mindsharpblogs.com/ben

http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/10623.aspx

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:44 AM
  • I figured it out! Damn this was driving me crazy.  The search crawler does not work if the default zone uses Forms authentication.  To resolve this, extend your SharePoint site and create a new "Custom Zone" that uses Windows Authentication.  Read below:

Forms Authentication and the search crawler

If you are planning on using the searching capabilities of SharePoint, then you need to know one major obstacle with Forms authentication. The search crawler can only access zones configured for Windows authentication. If your crawler is pointed at the default zone, and then you change the default zone to use Forms authentication, then your search is going to break. To get around this issue, extend your web application and create a zone that uses Windows authentication, then point the crawler at the new zone. Even though the search is hitting a different zone, the search findings will be available in your Forms authentication zone.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:30 PM
  • Ok...I have another solver for no search results.  I found out that if your IIS site does not use Intergrated Windows Authentication or Digest Authenication ...then search fails. 

Monday, January 28, 2008 12:59 AM
  • I thought I would throw a question out wince this topic is still getting hits.  What if your search works but it does not give all of the results that it should be giving.  For instance, I have 5 docs with a keyword that I search but it only returns 1.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:10 PM
  • I had the same issue; however, I am configured for a 2 server farm environment.  WSS 3.0 front end on 1 machine and the SQL db's on another.

The WSS_Search_ServerName Database User account was not listed as a user in the WSS_Content_ServerName content database.  Once I copied the user account from the search db to the content db, the search started working.  I am running WSS 3.0 only not MOSS.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:18 AM
  •  

Just a note for others - the thing that solved it for me was to make the two indexing accounts the same user, as per: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.sharepoint.setup_and_administration/msg/f26bfde9a8c187ae?dmode=print

Not sure why, but that immediately solved my problem after I bashed my head against the wall for over an hour!

Monday, February 18, 2008 11:40 PM
  •  

Ok...I've been reading alot of info on this problem and I've tried some stuff and nothing has worked for me. My setup:

WSS 3.0

Win 2003 server Standard Edition sp2

NOT using SQL srever for my database server. Using the default provided with WSS.

IIS6: setup to use Intergrated Windows for Authentication

WSS: Database status is ready

WSS: : Default Zone: 

• Authentication provider is set to Windows
      • Integrated Windows authentication set

WSS: Search Service has a started status.

• For the Service Account and the Content Access account they where both set to use the same user. I even tried inputting the Local Administrator Account (My 2003 server..Stand Alone).
      • Switched them back to the "network Service" and tried "Local Service"

WSS: I am using keywords and have tried performing searches based on them and other labels of Docs within the site.

EventViewer: I also have that reoccuring event ID of 2424 within the application logs:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
    Event Category: Gatherer
    Event ID: 2424
    Date:  21/02/2008
    Time:  10:52:02 AM
    User:  N/A

I think that accurately describes my setup and what I've done to try and fix this.  For such a "small" problem I'm surpised there isn't a full proof "cure" posted within some Knowledge base.   For some of the posted fixes my setup had by default and still nothing.

GoingCrazy is going crazy !!!  Can some one please help stop this Insanity

Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Is it your query? Are you just not getting results? What keywords are you using?

Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:56 PM
  • After a day and a half I've think I have a handle on WSS Search. Here is how I got the indexing working. It is currently crawling so I've not tested if I get correct results but I got rid of Error 2424.

Use a non-admin domain account for both Service and crawler ID.

Give above user Read access to all content DBs.

Make sure ISS Web Site uses Integrated Authentication - this one got me for 8 hours. If you use Basic or forms based you must set up two zones (two IIS web sites).

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/WSS/en/library/8208d71e-7c41-4845-bc06-95429de02cf11033.mspx?mfr=true

Disable Loopback check, its there to prevent denial of service attacks. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861.

Associate Search Server with each Content DB.

-Nick

nrose @acumenllc.com

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:51 PM
  •  smc750 wrote:
    Is it your query? Are you just not getting results? What keywords are you using?

I'm performing searches from the Site Home tab and also within the particular sub site which I use for my Tech Support related info.  I perform searches on Keywords connected to particular Docs and knowledge base articles. Also on names of Docs that I've uploaded into Document Libraries  Not getting any results

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Make sure you can browse the sites in the collection from the search server. If you don't have a dns entry for the site, add the url and ip to the hosts file on the server. If the search service cannot reach the site through the url, it won't work.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 1:51 PM
  • I know this is a super old post, but I ran across the same problem and it was driving me crazy - so I figured I would post my solution and maybe it will help someone else.

I found this article on TechNet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287827.aspx#section2

I followed the steps outlined, but I added steps 4 and 8 for my situation (because the search service was already running, but not returning any results):
    1. On the SharePoint Central Administration home page, click the Operations tab on the top link bar.

2. On the Operations page, in the Topology and Services section, click Servers in farm .

3. On the Servers in Farm page, click the server on which you want to start the Windows SharePoint Services Search service.

4. Next to Windows SharePoint Services Search , click Stop and wait for the task to complete. [added by me]

5. Next to Windows SharePoint Services Search , click Start .
    6. On the Configure Windows SharePoint Services Search Service Settings page, in the Service Account section, specify the user name and password for the user account under which the Search service will run.

7. In the Content Access Account section, specify the user name and password for the user account that the Search service will use to search over content. This account must have read access to all the content you want it to search over. If you do not enter credentials, the same account used for the Search service will be used.

8. In the Search Database section, add a character (ie. '2') to the end of the Database Name (this will recreate the search index database in-case your existing database is corrupted - which was the case in my situation). [added by me]
    9. In the Indexing Schedule section, either accept the default settings, or specify the schedule that you want the Search service to use when searching over content.

10. After you have configured all the settings, click Start .

Hope this helps!  Good luck to all!
    ~Q~

• Edited by FFA-IT Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:59 PM Minor Edit
    • Proposed as answer by Ameyama Monday, October 19, 2009 9:01 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Dear All,

I had applied most of these solution; however, the problem still exists.

I revised Event viewer, and I found that error related to database "MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

and Also I got this error "Windows SharePoint Services 3 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

the problem has been solved by restarting the database (simply by going to Microsoft SQL Server management studio , then right click on \\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query (SQL Server) and choose Restart.

I hope this help you all.

Best Regards,
    Alamir Mohamed Reda

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:16 AM
  • Whoever is facing this problem, user "SamCosta" has provided the answer in this forum. That worked great for me! Thanks
    :-]
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Great research! Also thanks to Mr. Brown too ... the Search db owner was missing from my content database, adding him fixed instantly ... thanks to all!! :-)
    Friday, March 5, 2010 5:46 PM