SQL-NS 2005 resources and 3rd parties RRS feed

All replies

• Hi Shaul -

Welcome to SSNS!!

Great question about the difference between the forums and newsgroups. The short answer is that the newsgroups provide a wealth of knowledge dating back a long time and it's the go-to place for many people. The forums are a relatively newer community of users and it offers a more robust user interface via the web. Some people find the newsgroups beneficial and convenient because of the newsreaders. Others find the forums nice because of the rich web interface. Unfortunately many live in only one or the other worlds so the community is somewhat fragmented in this respect. I personally try to follow both.

Here's the original announcement of the SSNS forum if you're interested in the history.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs/browse_thread/thread/2e3af630e7755809/cf086a069d6922b0?lnk=st&q=New+forum+for+Notification+Services+discussions&rnum=1#cf086a069d6922b0

As for other resources - Shyam Pather has an excellent book on the subject; just go to Amazon.com and search for his name. I also have a book on the topic and I blog about it over at http://www.sqlns.com.

The link you posted used to go to a page that identified a handful of 3rd party SSNS partners. But unfortunately MS decided to consolidate all the 3rd party partners into one searchable location and I've never been able to find what I want from it. Searching for Notification Services produces pages of seemingly unrelated companies.

HTH...

Joe

Thursday, July 13, 2006 11:55 AM
  • I was able to dig up another old link for delivery channel partners - http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ns/partners/delivery.asp.

I don't know if it's being maintained, but at least the link works. :)

Thursday, July 13, 2006 12:02 PM
  • Thanks, that is the link I saw and posted in my original message above However in trying to find out more (e.g. searching CenterPoint's site and Google for their collaboration with NS) I got nowhere. My question was if there are 3rd party channels that actually exist, not just a marketing news flash.

Cheers,

-- Shaul

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:36 PM
  • Joe,

BTW, what is your association with SQL-NS? I notice you have answered most of the posts both on the news group and the forum, and at least for my own posts I did not get any other replies. Just curious...

-- Shaul (shauld@medcon.com)

Sunday, July 16, 2006 10:51 AM
  • Hi Shaul -

Well, I'm a fan of the technology so I tend spend a fair amount of time in the forum and newsgroups. I answer the question I can and learn in the process, too. Over the years, I've written a book and several articles on the topic and have spoken about it at conferences in North America and in Europe.

I'm not a MS employee, though. I'm a consultant based in Tennessee, USA.

I think SQLNS well designed and I'd like to see it adopted more that it seems to be at the moment.

Cheers!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:04 PM