Is there a way to have password-less SQL server login for another user without kerberos enabled? RRS feed

• Question

• I am connecting to SQL server with JDBC.

I am able to use Integrated authentication with JDBC to connect to a SQL Server 2016 instance as the current logged in user, and I did not have to supply a password. The only auth scheme enabled in my sql server is NTLM.

I want to do this same thing for another user without having to have access to this user's password.

Can I create a keytab for a user and use integrated authentication without enabling kerberos on the SQL server instance?

Or is there some other way to "save" the credentials of a user and use them to log into SQL server without enabling kerberos on sql server?

Thanks.

Friday, November 9, 2018 6:00 PM

Answers

• Based on my searching, I didn't find a way. Only Windows authentication can avoid the password, but you have disabled kerberos.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 8:23 AM

All replies

• If you like to grant the "other user" access to the SQL instance, just create a new AD login on the SQL instance using that user's AD account. You don't have to specify the password for that login (with it being AD). His connection should work just like yours does. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Friday, November 9, 2018 7:35 PM
  • Hi. Thanks for the response.

Security reasons prohibit my currently logged in user from being added to the SQL server instance. If it was that easy I would have already done it. 

Friday, November 9, 2018 7:41 PM
  • Hi Nicholas Sharepointer DiPiazza,

Do you mean using the same Windows credential for all people using the application?

Based on my searching, there is not a method for NTLM, but as a workaround, we can use the SQL Server authentication, we can create a SQL Server login and use it for all application.

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 12, 2018 7:46 AM
  • Hi Teige,

Is there a way to make that not require a password? 

Monday, November 12, 2018 2:24 PM
  • Based on my searching, I didn't find a way. Only Windows authentication can avoid the password, but you have disabled kerberos.

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 8:23 AM