Problem with Silverlight2 Hands-On Lab RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to learn Silverlight and I thought Silverlight2 Hands-On Lab might be a good place to start.
    I am trying to tackle the very first lab "Silverlight Fundamentals: Basic concepts of Silverlight 2 development".
    Instruction says to right click page.xaml from the Visual Studio Solutions Explorer and launch Expression Blend 2 Feb 2008 Beta.
    So when I do that it will launch Expression Blend, but Blend gives me following error message.

"Unsupported Project File", "The project file C:\Document\....\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\FixedVB\FixedVB_Web\" is not supported. The project will not be loaded.

If I press "OK" button I get "Invalid XAML - Check the Results panel for detailed information" message.
    And in the results page I get error message indicating all elements from the xaml pages are not supported in WPF.???

Can anyone see what is going on?
    I thinks I have all the required installs. VS 2008, Expression Blend 2 Feb 2008 Beta, Silverlight 2.0 SDK, silverlight 2.0 runtime, VS 2008 tools, ASP.Net Futures, Expression Design. (Am I missing any other installs, honestly there are so many of them, it is bit confusing)

thanks

Don Kang

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:47 PM

Answers

• Thanks Pete

Actually I meant Expression Blend 2.5.
    And I had Expression Blend 2.5 March Preview and Expression Design may have (?) installed Expression Blend 2.5 Feb Beta.
    Anyway, I uninstalled Blend 2.5 Feb Beta, so I only have one Blend to play with. But still gives me an error message.

However, it worked out for me by opening the project file from the Blend itself, instead of trying to launch Blend from the VS 2008.
    I am not going to worry about it too much, I am sure Microsoft will fix this problem if it is a bug.

thanks again.

Don Kang

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:21 PM

All replies

• Looks like it is a mistake in the lab.

You want Expression Blend 2.5 to do Silverlight 2 development. Expression Blend 2 is only for doing Silverlight 1 (JavaScript) development. Both with do WPF.

Pete

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Thanks Pete

Actually I meant Expression Blend 2.5.
    And I had Expression Blend 2.5 March Preview and Expression Design may have (?) installed Expression Blend 2.5 Feb Beta.
    Anyway, I uninstalled Blend 2.5 Feb Beta, so I only have one Blend to play with. But still gives me an error message.

However, it worked out for me by opening the project file from the Blend itself, instead of trying to launch Blend from the VS 2008.
    I am not going to worry about it too much, I am sure Microsoft will fix this problem if it is a bug.

thanks again.

Don Kang

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:21 PM