none
Visual Studio Community 2015 restarts by itself

Question

• When I add the COM Component of "VLC ActiveX Plugin and IE Web Plugin v2" to the Toolbox and add the VLC player in my form, the Visual Studio Community 2015 will easily restart by itself when I build or debug the project!  How to check what is wrong with the Visual Studio Community 2015?
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 2:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Anthony2007,

According to your description, this issue occurs after installing the COM Component of "VLC ActiveX Plugin and IE Web Plugin v2", is it right?

Please create a new blank project without any controls in the project forms, whether it will restart by itself?

If yes, please remove the COM Component of "VLC ActiveX Plugin and IE Web Plugin v2" from Visual Studio 2015 to check if this issue caused by this COM Component.

If no, please add the VLC player in the project form and if it restars by itself, this problem is caused by the VLC player.

Both of these two reasons, please contact the vendor of the COM Component.

After removing the COM Component of "VLC ActiveX Plugin and IE Web Plugin v2" from Visual Studio 2015 and the problem still exist, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Close all third part software on your computer when running Visual Studio.
    2. Run Visual Studio 2015 Community in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by Anthony2007 Monday, February 15, 2016 7:29 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 6:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Anthony2007,

According to your description, this issue occurs after installing the COM Component of "VLC ActiveX Plugin and IE Web Plugin v2", is it right?

Please create a new blank project without any controls in the project forms, whether it will restart by itself?

If yes, please remove the COM Component of "VLC ActiveX Plugin and IE Web Plugin v2" from Visual Studio 2015 to check if this issue caused by this COM Component.

If no, please add the VLC player in the project form and if it restars by itself, this problem is caused by the VLC player.

Both of these two reasons, please contact the vendor of the COM Component.

After removing the COM Component of "VLC ActiveX Plugin and IE Web Plugin v2" from Visual Studio 2015 and the problem still exist, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Close all third part software on your computer when running Visual Studio.
    2. Run Visual Studio 2015 Community in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by Anthony2007 Monday, February 15, 2016 7:29 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Yes.  After removing the COM Component of "VLC ActiveX Plugin and IE Web Plugin v2", no more restarting.

Actually I am looking for an alternative video player better than the Windows Media in my c#.net windows desktop application.  I thought the VLC is a good one.  But it seems that it crashes the Visual Studio.

Monday, February 15, 2016 7:33 AM