What are the very basic hardwares(Robots) are required to test my robotics application? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear friends,

This is BalaMuruganI am a C# programmer.
    I am really intrested in Robotics. I have installed MRDS2008R2.
    How to start Robotics? How to write a code to test any application?
    What are the very basic hardwares(Robots) are required to test my robotics application?
    Where can I purchase these robots?
    Please give some basic ideas about create a new simple robot.

Balmurugan J

Thanks and Regards, BalaMurugan J
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:28 AM

Answers

• Are you running the installation from and Admin account?

Also, please create a new thread in future and don't change the topic of an existing thread by asking a new question. If you do this, you might find that you don't get an answer.

Trevor

Friday, December 10, 2010 8:16 AM

All replies

• This question comes up often enough that maybe it's time for a sticky thread.  I think what happens a lot of times is people install MRDS and then ask, "Now what?!"

The latest version of MRDS is 2008 R3.

If you're just starting out, here is my suggestion:

Step 1:  (2-4 weeks)

Get a robotics kit (Mindstorms, fischertechnik, VEX) and build several of the projects with it to get a handle on the basics before moving on to MRDS.

These kits are a gentle introduction and each comes with an easy-to-learn environment for programming the microcontroller. There are some basic concepts you need to learn to get started, and later on you'll need the hardware anyway. If you're located in the US then LEGO is by far the most popular kit.

Step 2: (4-8 weeks)

Buy and read Professional MRDS to get *started* with MRDS.

There are also some tutorials on this site. The main advantage of the book is that it presents the material in order.

Step 3: (the rest of your life)

Think up a bunch of projects and then build them.

Robotics is a large topic that requires some knowledge of several subfields - electronics, microcontrollers, several common protocols like USB and I2C, parallel programming, AI, image processing, physics engines and probably some other things that don't come to mind right now.  Learn as you go.

Monday, November 29, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Thanks Ima Dirty Troll.
    Monday, November 29, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Dear  Ima Dirty Troll,

Could you please give any link to buy the Robotics kit by online?

If you give any links, Surely it could be very helpful for my learning...

Monday, November 29, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Hi Ima,

When i run the .exe file of RDS 2008 R3, it displays that an error that setup initialization failed.

Could u please help me in getting over with it?

My system details are

X86 architecture

Visual studio 2008 

Thanks 

P.S. Chhabra

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Are you running the installation from and Admin account?

Also, please create a new thread in future and don't change the topic of an existing thread by asking a new question. If you do this, you might find that you don't get an answer.

Trevor

Friday, December 10, 2010 8:16 AM