Pre-Requisites: Before you Begin RRS feed

• Question

• 1.       Your Windows Phone should be running a current retail version
    Verify that your phone is running the latest version of Windows Phone, and update your phone to the latest version if needed. To do this:

a.       On the device, flick left to the Windows Phone’s application list

b.      Tap ‘Settings’  > ‘About’ > ‘More Info’

c.       Scroll to the bottom and select ‘about’

d.      If you are on either 7.0.7390.0 or 7.0.7392.0, you can proceed; if not, you should install ‘NoDo’ via Zune before you install this update
                        i.
    Updates can be applied by navigating to Zune, and selecting ‘Settings’ at the top of the screen

•                                            ii.Select ‘Phone’ -> ‘

iii. Select ‘Update’ to accept the relevant update

iv. Repeat this update process to check and accept updates until you are on a recent Windows Phone OS build

• 2.       You have enough disc space for your phone backup
      Check that you have enough disk space on your C: drive to successfully backup your phone; which is part of the update process. You should ideally have twice the amount of the hard drive space available on your C: drive as you using on your Phone.

3.       Your phone must be developer unlocked
    As this update only works for phones that are developer unlocked. If you are unsure if your phone is unlocked, you can verify this by running the Windows Phone Developer Registration tool, which is available with the Windows Phone developer tools.

4.       Machine is plugged in and can run uninterrupted for several hours
    This process can take several hours, and interruption can result in your phone being unbootable and un-upgradable (aka, ‘bricked’).

Once you’ve verified the four points above, you’re ready to update your Windows Phone to ‘Mango’ pre-lease trial OS.

Thanks,
    Jo

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Jo,
    thanks for the instruction. Nevertheless I doesn't work for me. Let me provide some details:
    - HTC Mozart
    - Registered as developer device
    - OS Version: 7.0.7392.0
    - Firmware revision number: 2250.21.13301.111
    I ran the zune process and checked for updates and I get the information thart my phone is up to date with 7.0 (7392)

What can I do? I checked with my second registered device, an LG Optimus, unbranded, same effect.

Thanks

Michael
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:15 AM
  • 1. Make sure your phone is connected to your host pc.
    2. Run Zune Client
    3. Run Setup-UpdateWP-x64.exe or Setup-UpdateWP-x86.exe based on your Windows 7 or vista version.
    4. You may encounter an error saying your Zune UpdateWp.exe is current. In that case go to your Zune folder located normally at

{ProgramFiles}\Zune\UpdateWP.exe, and rename it to something else. and run the SetUp-UpdateWPx64.exe or SetUp-UpdateWP-x86.exe based on your OS version.
    5. Now close Zune and make sure your phone is still connected. Make sure you are not using your phone at any step.

6. Run MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate.exe  
    7. It will create a backup, and make sure that you back up that backup at a safe place. Your backup will be stored normally at

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update\{Device GUID}\

Always follow Update Instructions - Mango Beta 2 for WPDevs.pdf

Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hi Jo,
    thanks for the instruction. Nevertheless I doesn't work for me. Let me provide some details:
    - HTC Mozart
    - Registered as developer device
    - OS Version: 7.0.7392.0
    - Firmware revision number: 2250.21.13301.111
    I ran the zune process and checked for updates and I get the information thart my phone is up to date with 7.0 (7392)

What can I do? I checked with my second registered device, an LG Optimus, unbranded, same effect.

Thanks

Michael

Can you execute MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate.exe again on your devices to make sure they get the proper Mango provisioning?
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:40 AM
  • I have done all this and got to the Back up bit, the back up has run and say it was fine and zune is telling me to update but the Backup is not in the location it should be, where else could it be? would i be able to run just the back up bit on another computer without having to do the whole reinstall zune thing??

Regards
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Is the required disk space on the c drive for the backup  2X the in use memory on the phone or 2X the total memory on the phone ?

I have a Samsung Focus with the big add in memory chip, 36.9 GB total memory currently 34.73 GB free.

There is more than 2X  of the in use memory free on the development machine's C drive but not 73 GB of free space.

Will the upgrade work without more free space on C ?
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:58 AM