none
VS 2008 solution for .NET 3.5 automatically references .NET 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Historically I have only built VS 2005 .NET 2.0 applications.

I just installed VS 2008 to start to create 3.5 apps and port 2.0 apps up to 3.5.

I noticed that when I create a simple solution such as a windows form app, that it includes all kinds of .NET 2.0 references

My concern started with someone at work saying that porting from .NET 2.0 to .NET 3.5 is a nightmare.
    I didn't have any trouble porting a solution, so I wasn't sure what he was talking about.

Then I noticed all the .NET 2.0 references...

So then in VS 2008 I created a brand new, simple Winform and specifically told it to create for .NET 3.5
    All the project has is a single win form.
    I looked at the references and although the System.Core is 3.5 I notice all the .NET 2.0: System.Drawing, System.Deployment, System.XML...

Is this correct/expected ?

Is .NET 3.5 just an extention of 2.0 (so to speak) - that wrt a simple windows desktop app there is no such thing as a pure .NET 3.5 ?
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:45 PM

Answers

• I found the answer...

"The .NET Framework 3.0 is an additive release to the .NET Framework 2.0. ... applications that run on the .NET Framework 2.0 today will continue to run on the .NET Framework 3.0. "

- Microsoft, MSDN Framework Development Center

"When you install the .NET Framework 3.0, the installer will check to see whether you already have the .NET Framework 2.0 (released version) installed. If not, the .NET Framework 3.0 installer will install the .NET Framework 2.0 for you"

"...3.5 is also built on top of 2.0. So 2.0 is still the newest core version of the language, while 3.0 and 3.5 are really just "addons" to the existing core framework."
    - quote from a Micorosoft MVP, speaking about how .NET 3.0 was built as an extention of .NET 2.0, not as a replacement
    • Marked as answer by keef_riff_hard Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:05 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:05 PM

All replies

• While I am investigating I am seeing incormation such as .NET 3.5 uses .NET CLR, and .NET 2.0 is a requirement of .NET 3... etc...

So it seems like this is in fact normal/expected relations/references when building a .NET 3.5 app.

However, I am still hunting for a statement from Microsoft that I can quote back to my boss (who was concerned that we were about to release an app built against 2.0 because he thought that a 2.0 app won't run on a machine with .NET 3.5 installed)

Thursday, October 1, 2009 2:23 PM
  • I found the answer...

"The .NET Framework 3.0 is an additive release to the .NET Framework 2.0. ... applications that run on the .NET Framework 2.0 today will continue to run on the .NET Framework 3.0. "

"When you install the .NET Framework 3.0, the installer will check to see whether you already have the .NET Framework 2.0 (released version) installed. If not, the .NET Framework 3.0 installer will install the .NET Framework 2.0 for you"

"...3.5 is also built on top of 2.0. So 2.0 is still the newest core version of the language, while 3.0 and 3.5 are really just "addons" to the existing core framework."
    - quote from a Micorosoft MVP, speaking about how .NET 3.0 was built as an extention of .NET 2.0, not as a replacement
    • Marked as answer by keef_riff_hard Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:05 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:05 PM