speech to text on Windows Mobile 5 or 6 pda RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm looking for the ability to input numbers verbally into a Windows Mobile 5 or 6 pda, in any application.  Say I've got the calculator up.  I'd like to be able to speak the numbers, rather than use the keyboard.  For the specific application I use, I have the keyboard up while scanning barcodes.  If the barcode will not scan, I have to use the keyboard to enter the numbers by typing.  I'd like to be able to just speak the numbers and have them recognized as if I were typing them.  I had installed Bing Mobile onto my pda and noticed that it was very good at recognizing the numbers I spoke, but only within the Bing application.  I was hoping that the embedded speech to text feature in Bing Mobile could be applied globally onto the pda, perhaps as a keyboard add-on.  Does anyone have access to or knowledge of the API's or SDK's used in Bing Mobile that allow for the spoken number recognition?

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:56 AM

Answers

• Bing mobile uses server side speech recognition.  It records a voice clip and sends it from the device to a server some where else so that it can do the speech recognition and send the results back.  If you want to make something like that you should look into the Speech API (SAPI).
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    • Proposed as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:01 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:31 AM