How to get organizer ItemId from attendee's calendar item? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have created some meeting (with EWS) and invite some attendees to that meeting. Now I need get organizer meeting ItemId from within attendee's calendar item.
    How can I do this. What is the relation between orginizer master item and attendees slave items? Do I need search in orginizer calendar folder for master calendar item? If yes, with what criteria?  Or there is exist more straightforward solution?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the UID does not point anywhere. But it is equal for a given meeting - accross mailbox boundaries. And, btw, the only ID that is stable (which is not true for the ItemId of an appointment - that can change). So organizer email address + UID is enough to find the master meeting.

Kind regards,
    Henning Krause
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you can get the primary email address of the organizer from the appointment item. It should be in the "From" property...

To find the item in the organizers calendar use the UID property (available since Exchange 2007 SP1). See http://www.infinitec.de/post/2009/04/13/Searching-a-meeting-with-a-specific-UID-using-Exchange-Web-Services-2007.aspx for an example on how to do this.

Kind regards,
    Henning Krause
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I can get the primary email address of the organizer, but the problem is still here, because with only klowledge of organizer primary email I can't get exactly that master appointment. I mean where I should get organizer master appointment UID??? I can't find that property in attendee's slave appointment. How Exchange 2007 handle relation between master and slave appointments for meetings? Must be some way...
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

the UID property was introduced with Service Pack 1, so you have to specify the Exchange API Version you want to use (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchangewebservices.exchangeservicebinding.requestserverversionvalue.aspx). Once you set that to 2007 SP1, Exchange will return the UID property and you can access it via the UID property of the appointment item.

Kind regards,
    Henning Krause
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

I think you didn't understand what the point of my question is. I see this UID on calendar item. But, the point is in that I need to get this (organizer) UID from within attendee's calendar item. For example I do SyncFolderItemsWithChange request with EWS from the name of some user which is attendee of some meeting. And I get CalendarItem. Now I need UID or ItemId of Organizer of that meeting. So I see property called Organizer wich is AttendeeType and I see organizer primary email, but ItemId is null.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

if you have the primary email address of the organizer and the UID you have all you need. Given that you have permissions to access the calendar of the organizer, you can use EWS to access it: You can specify an email address when you do a FindItem request. You can search for the UID in the default calendar of the organizer.

Kind regards,
    Henning Krause
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

Does this mean that UID property of given CalendarItem is always point to organizer master CalendarItem (what means that UID is shared for master meeting item and slave attendee's items)  ?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

the UID does not point anywhere. But it is equal for a given meeting - accross mailbox boundaries. And, btw, the only ID that is stable (which is not true for the ItemId of an appointment - that can change). So organizer email address + UID is enough to find the master meeting.

Kind regards,
    Henning Krause
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you, Henning.

I make some tests and really the UID in a case of meetings is the same for both: organizer master calendar item and attendee's slave calendar item. So when I put UID and primary email of organizer calendar item I get organizer's calendar item and when I put UID and primary email of attendee calendar item I get attendee's calendar item.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:46 AM
  • Actually the UID created by Outlook and Outlook Web Access is in a different format than the UID created from Entourage.  If you use the CleanGlobalObjectID you will get a unique id.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:39 PM