Not all Background Jobs are running RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

actually we have some problems with the used space from the TFS databases. This are growing very fast.

Because of that we have now Setup a regular job which is cleaning the test attachment. This Tool is reporting that a huge amount of files are deleted (more then 100gb). But the used space inside the database is still the same, also after a few days.

Now I´ve check if all cleanup jobs are running, and when I take a look in the JobHistory then I´m missing a lot of jobs which are not executed.

Is there a way to verify if all jobs for all collections are scheduled correct? Or is there a possibility to rebuild such scheduled jobs?

I´m running TFS2013 U4 whith ~30 Collections

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Markus, 

Thanks for your post.

What’s the version of your SQL Server?

How did you clean the test attachment? Which detailed jobs not executed? 

You should install the TFS Power Tools, then run the Tcmpt.exe attachmentcleanup command to clean the test attachments. This command can generate the output file which included the command execution details,  you can find which attachments be identified for deletion in that output file.  

You can find the file size and extension using the TFS Administrators Toolkit>>TFS Attachment sizes feature. So you should edit the sample_setting file to ensure that big size file extensions included in it, then executed Tcmpt.exe attachmentcleanup command. You can refer to the discussions in this post:https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/86513d0f-f6e2-4b75-ba53-345fc9e74e58/test-attachment-cleaner?forum=tfsgeneral

After cleaned the test attachment, please Shrink your TFS databases.

To destroy files from TFS Server, please refer to: https://gyorgybalassy.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/cleaning-up-and-reduce-the-size-of-the-tfs-database/.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 6:27 AM
  • SQL Version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 - 11.0.5569.0 (X64)
     Jan  9 2015 11:38:17
     Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
     Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Test Attachment Cleanup:

Of course we use the power Tools.

After using this tool, the used space from the db didn´t decrease, also after a few days, as I wrote in the first post. Becauseo of that a shrink whould help very much

Missing Background Job:

I don´t have detailed view above all collection, but when I tooked a look in the JobHistory from some collections, I didn´t saw any history entry for eg:

• Team Foundation Server Framework File Service Cleanup
    • Build Information Cleanup Job
    • Cleanup duplicate item ids and orphaned items
    • File Container Cleanup
    • File Content Migration Job
    • Optimize Databases
    • Security Identity Cleanup Job
    • TagDefinitions Cleanup Job
    • Version Control Administration

Suggest Website:

Yes, I ran this job for some specific collection, but this should be part of this Background Jobs, isn´t it?

Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Short Update,

yesterday I´ve started some Jobs manualy, since then they are scheduled and started automatically.

Also maybe usefull Information, we updated the TFS 2 weeks ago to Update4

Thursday, March 5, 2015 4:16 PM
  • Hi Markus,  

Thanks for your reply.

You viewed that JobHistory in TFS Job Monitoring web access or in TFS databases?    

How did you start your Jobs manually? After started jobs, the database size be reduced as expect?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, March 6, 2015 9:23 AM
  • The jobs are started using the API (PowerShell/WCF)

Yes, the db size is reduced now as expected.

The question now is, why this Jobs wasn´t scheduled as they should?

Today I´ve took a look to another Server, also updated to TFS2013 U4 (in this case from TFS2012 U4) for a short while, and it Shows the same problem. Many of this scheduled Jobs aren´t running as described here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/granth/archive/2013/02/13/tfs2012-what-are-all-the-different-jobs-built-in-to-tfs.aspx

Friday, March 6, 2015 9:30 AM
  • Hi Markus,  

Thanks for your reply.

Have you checked the Jobs’ state before upgrade in your TFS 2012 Server? We should ensure the Jobs are scheduled and working fine before upgrade.

And as you did, we can check and start the jobs using TFS API which descripted in that blog. After you upgraded to TFS 2013 Update 4, we suggest you check the TFS 2013 Server configurations and Jobs before start use it.

Monday, March 9, 2015 6:42 AM
  • To be honest, no it wasn´t checked before and after the update.

That the jobs are not running is recognized, becuase the used space wasn´t decreased.The update is only a suspicion from me.

The JobHistroy table was empty for the mentioned jobs, so I can´t be sure since when they are didn´t ran.

Monday, March 9, 2015 11:40 AM
  •  

Hi Markus,  

Thanks for your reply.

As current issue has been resolved now, we think you can tracking this scenario in your TFS Server in the future. If there’s any issue occurred in your TFS Server, please post it in the forum, our members will try to provide the better response.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:01 AM