What makes a network adapter to appear in Windows IP Configuration? (that IPCONFIG shows) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have this problem with physical and now virtual adapters in Windows XP Pro.
    In one situation, after I run SYSPREP on a system to make a clone, as soon as I log in to that system, there is no adapters shown in "Windows IP Configuration". Although, I can see them in Device Manager and in Network Connections, IPCONFIG refuses to show them. No matter what I do (rebuilding TCP?IP stack, fixing Winsock2, etc), they do not appear.

In another situation, on another computer, after I install Checkpoint Endpoint security, it creates a virtual adapter. I can see it in Device Manager, but IPCONFIG doesn't show it...

Is there a way to manually force Windows to rebuild Windows IP Configuration???

Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:11 PM

All replies

• You can reset winsock using the command:
    netsh winsock reset
    You can try removing any third party services in the "connection properties" tab.
    Also try unchecking the tcp/ip protocol  & checking it back.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 11:03 AM
  • I did netsock reset - didn't help... I did uncheck TCP/IP as well. There are two microsoft utilities that I used too: MicrosoftFix 50199 and MicrosoftFix50203 that automate the above manual fixes...

I am looking to find how IPCONFIG command retrieves the information that it shows!? Is it reading registry keys? Which ones?  By knowing how it works, we would be able to see where the failure to retrieve the info happens... Is there anyone who can help me to solve that riddle? It looks like it starts biting more and more people in the butt :)

Thank you.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Check for any third ndis IM driver which is interferring with protocol drivers.
    You can check for it from device manager with "show hidden device" checked.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:54 AM
  • I did netsock reset - didn't help... I did uncheck TCP/IP as well. There are two microsoft utilities that I used too: MicrosoftFix 50199 and MicrosoftFix50203 that automate the above manual fixes...

I am looking to find how IPCONFIG command retrieves the information that it shows!? Is it reading registry keys? Which ones?  By knowing how it works, we would be able to see where the failure to retrieve the info happens... Is there anyone who can help me to solve that riddle? It looks like it starts biting more and more people in the butt :)

Thank you.
    I would love to find the same information about ipconfig as it has bitten me badly. There has to be information somewhere on the machine that ipconfig parses in order to show the information. Right now I have a machine on my bench that under the network connections show two statically configured NIC cards (Local Area 4 and Local Area 5). The ipconfig dump to the terminal only displays Local Area 4 (with or without the /all flag)! I have used ipconfig in the past to parse the connections and then use netsh to set IP's. I would set them in the adapter order returned by ipconfig. I have found that the order the adapters are listed is also not consistent. Ughhh.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:26 PM