none
Merge setup.exe and msi - best practice? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a Setup and Deployment project in Visual Studio 2008. I have som prerequisites which have to be met, and I therefore need the setup.exe AND the .msi (if I got it right, setup.exe checks prerequisites and .msi installs the application itself).

The problem may seem trivial, but it can cause confusion. How would my not-so-very-technical-interested customer know which file to launch?

I did a search on this on the forums, and it seems some people are using third-party applications to package the files as self-extracting executables which automatically launches setup.exe. Would I really need to buy a program for this? What about the extracted files, how would I delete those automatically after the installation?

How are you guys doing?

Thanks in advance!
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Jeinhor,

Thank you for your clarification.

Although some third-party self-extracting archives could package two files into one executable, better practice is available and suggested so that you don't need to buy third-party archives to embed dependent installers inside the MSI and execute them from one package. It covers common deployment scenarios like deploying an App with physical media (CD, DVD, floppy) or from a web site.
    Sampy's blog could give you a good conception to deploy your project.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/misampso/archive/2004/02/24/79403.aspx

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Jeinhor Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:08 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeinhor,

Could you please help me to clarify your question more?

You're worrying about your not-so-very-technical-interested customer who don't know the right steps to install your application. So you need the application automatically check prerequisites and then install the appliation. Am I right?

You have one setup.exe file to check prerequisites. If all the prerequisites have been installed on the PC, MSI file will automatically install the application itself. Otherwise, setup.exe will install the prerequisites. Are these prerequisites related to your MSI files or others (e.g. .Net Framework, Windows Installer)?

If I misunderstand you, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Thank you for answering.

What I was wondering is how the customer should know if he should launch setup.exe or ProjectName.msi. In a perfect world Visual Studio would just have created one file, and there would have been no confusion.

I need to know how I can package the two files into one executable, and how others are doing this? With third-party self-exctracting archives?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Hi Jeinhor,

Thank you for your clarification.

Although some third-party self-extracting archives could package two files into one executable, better practice is available and suggested so that you don't need to buy third-party archives to embed dependent installers inside the MSI and execute them from one package. It covers common deployment scenarios like deploying an App with physical media (CD, DVD, floppy) or from a web site.
    Sampy's blog could give you a good conception to deploy your project.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/misampso/archive/2004/02/24/79403.aspx

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    • Marked as answer by Jeinhor Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:08 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:13 AM