none
Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R2 on Verifon Vx 670 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Please I want to know if Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R2 can run on Verifon Vx 670?

The device spec is as follow:

Processor
    32-bit ARM9 microprocessor

Memory
    6MB (4MB of Flash, 2MB of SRAM)

Display
    128x128 pixel graphical LCD with high-contrast white backlighting, supports 16 lines x 21 characters with standard font-set.

Thank you.

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:03 PM

Answers

• To be able running C# application, you need to include .net compact framework.
    The footprint of .net CF and its dependencies (COM, MSXML and etc) is already beyond the capacity of 4MB Flash and 2MB RAM.
    MMU = Memory Management Unit. CE kernel using Virtual Memory to manage process and many system features, and MMU is a must have to support virtual memory.

• Marked as answer by Emekus Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:30 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 10:38 PM

All replies

• Theoretically, if it has MMU, it is possible to run CE.
    However, the limited memory size, especially 2MB SRAM, can limit the features you can include in image.
    Even it may only run a tiny kernel CE which is not so useful.

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:28 PM
  • That depends on whether the Vx 670's unnamed 32-bit ARM9 microprocessor has an MMU or not.  An MMU is required for Windows CE.  If the CPU has an MMU, the next thing you would need is a customized Windows CE OS image built using a Board Support Package (BSP) specific to the device's hardware.  Creating such a BSP would require full details of the device hardware (i.e. board schematics).  Next you would need a boot loader to load the OS image into the device's memory and run it, and you would need a way to get said boot loader and OS image onto the device.  Finally, 2MB of RAM and 4MB of Flash isn't much,s o you'd be limited as far as OS image size and application space.

Tom Gensel PTG Systems, LLC
    http://www.ptgsystems.com
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:42 PM
  • I am actually new to Windows Embedded programming and not too familiar with some of the acronyms. This would be my first embedded system development, please help me with the answer to the following questions.

> What is the recommended minimum requirement for Windows Embedded CE RC2 that will run C# application with web services enabled?

> What do you mean by MMU and how do I get, or enable it on the device?

Thanks for your reply.

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:50 PM
  • To be able running C# application, you need to include .net compact framework.
    The footprint of .net CF and its dependencies (COM, MSXML and etc) is already beyond the capacity of 4MB Flash and 2MB RAM.
    MMU = Memory Management Unit. CE kernel using Virtual Memory to manage process and many system features, and MMU is a must have to support virtual memory.

• Marked as answer by Emekus Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:30 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 10:38 PM