MVC web app error The type initializer for 'MS.Utility.EventTrace' threw an exception. when calling SpreadsheetDocument spreadsheetDocument = SpreadsheetDocument.Create(file, SpreadsheetDocumentType.Workbook); RRS feed

• Question

• User-351932365 posted

have a class inside mvc 6 application calling   SpreadsheetDocument spreadsheetDocument = SpreadsheetDocument.Create(file, SpreadsheetDocumentType.Workbook);

error is The type initializer for 'MS.Utility.EventTrace' threw an exception when calling SpreadsheetDocument spreadsheetDocument = SpreadsheetDocument.Create(file, SpreadsheetDocumentType.Workbook);

I have all the openxml working inside an exe program.  Moved the one class over to MVC, Where can I start?

Cindy

Friday, September 25, 2020 12:00 AM

Answers

• User1686398519 posted

Hi cmellocanon, 

1. Have you installed DocumentFormat.OpenXml?You can install it through NuGet.
    2. SpreadsheetDocument spreadsheetDocument = SpreadsheetDocument.Create(file, SpreadsheetDocumentType.Workbook);
      • Is the value of the file correct?

Best Regards,

YihuiSun

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2020 7:20 AM

All replies

• User-351932365 posted

also is this a permissions issue from trace?  With exe was writing to a share on c.  all users have permission.  With mvc do I have to write to a folder inside of mvc app?

Application Authentication Tag(arftr) SPApplicationAuthenticationModule.IsBearerChallengeRequested: Return 'False'.
    Claims Authentication Tag(crpqx) STS setting for SuppressModernAuthForOfficeClients:'True'. 0.002030 0.002030
    Application Authentication Tag(bjkut) IsClaimsTrustedAuthenticationOnly: 'False', IsOfficeClientIDCRLRequest: 'False', HasSPTrustedSecurityTokenIssuer: 'False', ForceIdcrlForOfficeClients: 'True'.
    Friday, September 25, 2020 12:08 AM
  • User1686398519 posted

Hi cmellocanon, 

1. Have you installed DocumentFormat.OpenXml?You can install it through NuGet.
    2. SpreadsheetDocument spreadsheetDocument = SpreadsheetDocument.Create(file, SpreadsheetDocumentType.Workbook);
      • Is the value of the file correct?

Best Regards,

YihuiSun

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2020 7:20 AM
  • User-351932365 posted

I reinstalled the package, same error.  By file, and this part does work in the console app.   For example I can run console app and file is created   so when code runs it first checks is there an old file then delete it.

System.IO.FileInfo newFile = new System.IO.FileInfo(fileName);
                    if (File.Exists(fileFullname))
                    {
                        newFile.Delete();
                    };

The file is in a share on c that all users have modify

then I run

// Create a spreadsheet document by providing a file name.  
                SpreadsheetDocument spreadsheetDocument = SpreadsheetDocument.
                    Create(file, SpreadsheetDocumentType.Workbook);

where file is that same share 

and error is the same 

{"The type initializer for 'MS.Utility.EventTrace' threw an exception."}

do I have to use a folder inside the mvc app as the location to create?   is that a difference between mvc and console app?  sorry feel like I am out of my depth....do not have another developer to ask questions

Friday, September 25, 2020 3:04 PM
  • User-351932365 posted

Thank you YihuiSun,

The mvc application could not do c fileshare, using folder inside of mvc with map path The code is working.  

Cindy

Friday, September 25, 2020 4:21 PM