none
Fix for Licensing and Activation Issues with Expression Web 4 RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have just released a fix for licensing and activation issues with Expression Web 4. Symptoms of licensing and/or activation issues include:

• Expression Web 4 reverts to trial mode.
    • You receive a message that states that the product key is invalid.
    • The product key is not accepted during the Expression Web 4 installation process.
    • You receive a message that states that Expression Web 4 was already activated with the product key.

If you are seeing symptoms such as this, the fix we have released should resolve your issue. You can find details and a download link here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2635101

To download the fix, click the "View and request hotfix downloads" hyperlink at the beginning of the article.

Please note that this fix is only for Expression Web 4. If you are encountering a licensing or activation issue with another Expression Studio product, you will need to open a support case with Microsoft to get that issue resolved.

If you download the patch and you receive an error that Web_en.msi could not be located, please download the "FullFile" version of the fix and install it on top of your existing installation. This will upgrade your existing installation of Expression Web 4 to SP2a which includes the fix.

Thank you.

Jim Cheshire -- Microsoft

Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:37 PM

All replies

• Will this fix be incorporated into the software at some point so installing a hotfix will no longer be necessary?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:12 PM
  • At this point, there isn't any publicly available information about future plans for the product.

Friday, November 11, 2011 3:01 PM
  • I paid my hard earned money for this product 4 months ago. I don't often use Expression web but today I opened it to import a site. Its asking for my access key which frankly I don't know where I saved it.

So what kind of labyrinth do I need to go through to get MY activation key. I haven't used expression web for about  60 days and do know there was an update or two downloaded. I suspect they wiped out my activation, which is bad news for me. My time is precious to me and I would rather not spend it searching all over hells half acre looking for help. Is this even the place to ask?

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Codpiece01,

No labyrinth. Just click the link on this post and download the fix.

Jim Cheshire Microsoft
    Friday, November 25, 2011 2:13 AM
  • I agree the price of keeping software working is more then the money. I opened up my expressions and it is not activated? It was and now its not? My windows 7 keeps telling me it is not genuine for $117 from newegg I think it is genuine. It is more easy to learn a new software . I need to fix this but at the same time Im going to get a open source program and learn it no more license for me. I hear Bill Gates wants to take more jobs to China. Take microsoft with him.
    Monday, January 2, 2012 4:10 PM
  • EDIT:  I'm going to rewrite this entry, added last evening, because I made a mistake!  I didn't notice the last paragraph of Jim's original post which says if you get a file-not-found error, try the full version.  That worked.  (By worked, I mean the install completed successfully and I'm not getting a request for my key.  Hope it stays that way...)  I do wish Microsoft would offer a phone number to call with Activation issues, though, without committing up front to a possible $259 fee at the discretion of the tech.

• Edited by FBrack Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:11 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:30 AM
  • I have the issue but with Expression studio, although KB2635101 fixes Expression Web what about the rest of the products? eg Encoder, Design and Blend. Is Microsoft doing anything to fix the Expression Studio activation issue?

See other post I started this week as a point of reference, any help would be appreicated?

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/general/thread/aea737a0-94a7-4004-b133-f1608139c283?prof=required

regards

Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:31 PM
  • If you're having an issue with a product other than Expression Web, you should open a case with us via support.microsoft.com for assistance.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Dear Jim,

I followed your procedure and received the error that Web_en.msi could not be located, I thn installed the Fullfile on top of my existing installation, this went through ok however, when doing a help about Microsoft Expression web it still shows my version as SP2 not SP2a, please see below my screen capture.

I did of course reboot etc..

Regards

Kevin

Friday, January 20, 2012 11:21 AM
  • 28 mb is to much for me to download . So i went to put it on my other computer and forgot I needed net4... after 3 hours of download my connection cut. The fix for this new error is untested and you gotta runaround the internet to find it not " click on the link and download " . Expressions comes in a fancy box but is not worth anything if I cant use it. If Microsoft had a store here I would get this fixed right now or have my money back. %$#&*^$.  This ant right Microsoft need to put a little effort in fixing this ! Microsoft needs to send me software that works and if it needs net 4 and a fix it need to be on the disk and no more runaround. 
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Kevin,

You're good. SP2a still shows SP2, but the version number is updated to 4.0.1338.0.

Friday, January 20, 2012 1:25 PM
  • It sounds to me like you have bad Internet service. I would look into getting something more reliable.

SP2a was thoroughly tested, just like all of our other fixes. We're a pretty big software shop after all. :) To get the fix, simply click the link I provided and then click "View and request hotfix downloads." Enter your email address and we send you a link directly to the fixes.

Friday, January 20, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Kevin,

You're good. SP2a still shows SP2, but the version number is updated to 4.0.1338.0.

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your fast response and clarifying this is ok.

Kind regards

Kevin

Friday, January 20, 2012 1:41 PM
  • 28 mb is to much for me to download . So i went to put it on my other computer and forgot I needed net4... after 3 hours of download my connection cut. The fix for this new error is untested and you gotta runaround the internet to find it not " click on the link and download " . Expressions comes in a fancy box but is not worth anything if I cant use it. If Microsoft had a store here I would get this fixed right now or have my money back. %$#&*^$.  This ant right Microsoft need to put a little effort in fixing this ! Microsoft needs to send me software that works and if it needs net 4 and a fix it need to be on the disk and no more runaround. 

This is not right. Its not my job to fix this. I should be able to get a cd disk that works. This is how big business rips us off. Its not my job to figure out how to fix this.  Where do I get a cd that has everything on it to work on MICROSOFT windows 7 . Is that not funny  the latest microsoft software need a fix to work with microsoft software . If i do not get this a answer I like I will post my thought about microsoft and its product often and for a long time.

Im really sorry about this but what is right is right. It is not my job to fix this.

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Alacazoo,

No one's ripping you off here. I'm a bit mystified at your continued demands that we fix this issue. The point of this post is to point you directly at the fix that you are demanding that we provide.

If you are having trouble with your Internet connection when downloading from the Internet, I'm afraid that's not something that we can impact for you.

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Hi Alacazoo,

I agree with Jim, no one is ripping you or anyone off here, this is a hotfix and it certainly fixed my license issues which I had experienced. It is easy to install, but certainly I'd get your internet issues sorted out first.

Regards

kevin

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:35 PM
  • try to download the link received by mail but get HTTP 404, alternative to download SP2a?

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:27 PM
  • There isn't an alternative link. I'm looking into the problem and will report back ASAP.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:07 PM
  • There is a problem right now with our hotfix servers. I'm in contact with the appropriate people and we're working to get it resolved. I'll update again ASAP. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:20 PM
  • We have resolved this issue and you should now be able to access the fix. Thanks.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:56 PM
  • At this time, Feb 2012, this Hotfix distro is expired or bugged.

Correctly submitting online form, with Hotfix selected,  I get stopped with a bright red "Please select the hotfixes, and then click the Request Hotfix button."

Over the past 6 months, while Authoring with Web 4, I was getting severe Windows corruption. So frequent Web4 reinstalls. Though their Licensing machine is sure not reading all my installs, they tell me by telephone that supposed to be a License check and refresh every six (6) installs. That was 4 days ago.

Anyway, all set here for another 4 +++ installs.

btw. James, Web 4 suffers registry corruption due to Windows problem. Web 4 effected but not responsible. Hard for me [end user] to tell what's going on. However, maybe it has something to do with Windows installed and running on Solid State Disks. Something else it is. "Install Anywhere", Intel folder is created on your system drive. Expression Studio 4 install is seconds, not minutes. This hardware, though challenging Windows, is not effecting our licensing in any way. ... Still I always wonder, would this hardware have effected our PSR's Last June? -- Mark

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:53 AM
  • I'm not sure why you are having that problem, Mark. I just tested it and it's working perfectly. Have tried with a different browser?

I'm afraid I don't understand your last paragraph.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:49 PM
  • I just installed v4.

When I checked my EW4 file on the Norton360 service....it says that EWv4 is "slightly unstable and will crash once or twice a month with typical use'  Ouch.

Jim...when you wrote "At this point, there isn't any publicly available information about future plans for the product. 

Would you be aware of any general time when some public information will be available?  Q3:2012  ??

• Edited by JustMe0000 Monday, February 20, 2012 10:22 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Norton 360's reliability rating is based on the experience of all other users who use that application. As far as I know, it doesn't differentiate between service pack levels, patch levels, etc. It also doesn't take into account that other applications (including, commonly, Norton itself) actually cause reliability problems in software. Personally, I would take that information with a grain of salt. The important thing is your user experience.

Our product group controls release of public information about the future of products. I am unaware of when that information will be communicated. Sorry.

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:46 PM
  • I’ve been haunted by this issue as well and I’m really disappointed that the supposed fix only addresses the Expression Web module.  I’ve had to apply this, but the Expression Design module, which I would aslo like to use, still refuses to load because of this problem.  And rather than provide a definitive fix which addresses this issue on all the modules of the Expression Studio product, thus far a solution has only been provided for one component of this software.
    Friday, March 2, 2012 1:57 PM
  • We now have a pre-release fix for Design that we can let you test. You'll need to open a case with us via support.microsoft.com to get it.

Thanks.

Friday, March 2, 2012 2:05 PM
  • - thanks for your pronpt reply Jim. I've tried opening a case with support as you suggest but for some reason it's not playing ball with my product ID, and in view of the circumstances I don't fell it's approppriate that I could therefore be liable for a hefty support charge. Please could you advise - my product ID is as below:
    Friday, March 2, 2012 2:44 PM
  • The product ID for Expression Web isn't really relevant because you're needing help with Design. They are entirely different products.

You don't need to enter a product ID anyway. Just give us a call at (800) 936-4900. There is no charge for this. It's a bug in our product.

Friday, March 2, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Thanks for coming back to me. However I'm based in the UK.  Is there a particular +44 number I should call instead?
    Friday, March 2, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Sure. If you go through the process at support.microsoft.com and choose the option to not provide a product ID, it will give you the number for your region.

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:54 PM
  • OK, tried contacting support.microsoft.com by phone last Friday as Jim Cheshire suggested.  I guess I was on the phone for about an hour to support - which here in the UK is not a freephone number - and I was just been passed from one person to another, before I finally got to speak to someone who asserted that he was in the Expression Design development team.  Anyway, this guy had no knowledge of any pre-release fix for Design (??!!), but took my details and said that somebody would definitely get back to me on Monday.  Well Monday has now been and gone and I can’t help but feel that I wasted my time and money in trying to progress this…

• Edited by Rich 2812 Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Rich,

Can you please send me your case number? You can send it to jamesche at Microsoft dot com.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:26 PM
  • - I haven’t got a case number.  Before I phoned support I attempted to register the issue on-line at support.support.com but this couldn’t identify the PID for the software on my PC and therefore only gave the option of ‘Pay Per Incident Support’, and given that this about a known bug under no circumstances will I pay for this – it’s expensive.  Hence no case number from that route, and none of the people I spoke to on Friday provided me with a case number either. 

I’m getting really jaded about this experience, and in the meantime Design still refuses to work.  Jim  how do you propose things should be progressed? Should I still contact you directly?

• Edited by Rich 2812 Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:53 PM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Therein lies your problem. You are not speaking to the right people. In order to get support (and get the fix that you need), you need to have a case with our support organization. If you skip that, you won't get to the right people.

There is no charge for this issue. On Pay-Per-Incident support, it specifically says that charges "may" apply, and as I've pointed out here, there is no charge for this particular issue because it's a bug in our product.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:56 PM
  • @ Jim Cheshire or anyone else who can help.

I believe I have version 4.0.20525.0 of Microsoft Expression Studio 4 Web Professional - I got this from right clicking the properties of the Setup.exe file. The digital Signatures tab has a time stamp of 26 May 2010.

Issue:
    When I run the setup.exe file I get as far as the 'Enter product key' wizard stage and after entering the last digit of my product key my PC thinks for a second then the wizard advises that; 'the key is not valid. Verify and enter your product key again'. The next button on the wizard remains Greyed out.

I've gone to all the trouble to document this as I believe the patch outlined above fixes this issue. But I'm unclear as to the following:

a, The version I have seem to be later than the version 4.0.1338.0 reference else where in this thread and so may include the hot fix? please advise

b, Not sure when to apply the fix as I can't install the MS Expression Studio or any of its components namely Expression web 4. Do I apply the hot fix then run the installation? please advise.

c, As Rich 2812 outlines this hot fix would only appear to fix the licensing issue around the Expression Web 4 application. How do I fix the same issue with Expression Design 4 & Expression Encoder 4?

d, Depending on your answer to c, above if there isn't a product key fix for Expression Studio 4 then please can you provide the urls: where I would be able to download the Web 4, Design 4 & Encoder 4 applications.

e, I've located a download for Expression Web 4 Trial is it posible to install the trial and enter the product key into that version before the Trial expires. Another Thread suggests the following method from inside the application:

help => activate product
    and enter product key

Thanks for your time

Update:
    I've just downloaded Expression Web 4 Trial and the exe file suggests that its version is 4.0.20525.0 with a time stamp of 26 May 2010. I'll try running this next.

• Edited by RutlandGuy Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:35 PM Update
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:26 PM
  • The "Full_File" download for Expression Web 4 SP2a will work for your Expression Web copy. This is detailed in the KB article I linked to.

For Design, as indicated in this thread, we have a private fix that you can install to resolve that. However, you'll need to open a support case with us in order to get it. It's not yet released.

Encoder that comes with Studio Web Professional doesn't require a product key. Only the full retail version of Encoder is activated, and it ships only with Studio Ultimate and as a standalone product.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:55 PM
  • 1, So am I correct in thinking: "The "Full_File" download for Expression Web 4 SP2a" you mentioned will provide me with the full install files for Expression web 4 that I can use with my existing 25 digit product code?

2, Am I also correct in thinking: that after getting a case number I'll be provided with a link to a full file intallation download for Expression Design 4,  that I can use with my existing 25 digit product code?

3, Finally Am I correct in thinking that the Expression Encoder download I need is this one: Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) If not please provide a url link to the correct download.

Thanks

Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Kind of.

1. Yes.

2. Kind of. Our private patch for this is actually a full install of Design, so it will install side-by-side with whatever you currently have installed. One of our engineers can provide you with a private location for downloading this private fix.

3. Yes.

Also, if you wish, our engineer can reset your license store so that you can install with your current media. However, due to the bug, you may end up with a corrupt license store again at some point. That's why we're pushing out these patches.

One more thing. You don't have to send me email each time you post here. The system notifies me. :)

Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Why should be the fix working for Expression Web alone. Why are we expected to open a case with support for other products, when the issue is clear and repetitive with other ES products and so many users are facing it. 

Wouldn't it be fair enough to release patch/fix for other products of ES 4 as well which makes our life simpler. BTW, I am trying to use Blend for integrating with Silver Light 4. Is there any patch released recently (since  these posts are 3 months older)?

Kindly advice.
    Monday, April 30, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Scorpash,

Each Expression Studio product is built by its own product group. They don't share the same code. Therefore, a patch for one product won't work for other products. I'm not at all involved in Expression Blend, so I'm not sure if or when they have plans on a patch. I can inquire with some folks over there and see if there is any publicly available information.

Jim

Monday, April 30, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Jim,

Appreciate your quick reply. I would be great if you can help with some leads on here. I strongly feel Microsoft should take this seriously as this is very annoying for people like me who are more into MS products.

Thanks - Scorprash

Monday, April 30, 2012 12:30 PM
  • The product group for Blend is apparently still evaluating their plans. At this time, what you'd need to do to correct this is open a support case via support.microsoft.com and someone from Blend support can reset your license store and fix this. There is no charge for doing so.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Unable to activate Blend. On the phone getting passed from team to team until I was disconnected.

All I want to do is edit a style template in Blend; I could have done it manually in the time I was with support.

Mr. Cheshire, any assitance you can provide will be most appreciated.

Case #9000888634.

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:50 AM
  • Hi, cthu1. I don't think the MSDN folks will be able to help you with that. For technical support (which is what you need here), you need to open a case with our Blend team. You can do that by going to http://support.microsoft.com. Note that you do have to give a credit card, but there will be no charge for fixing this issue.

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Jim,

Thanks for the help you have provided here.  The hotfix worked and I am back into my EW4 program.  I did have to use the full-file but all went well and I had my install on a D:\ drive.  

So far, I have not used the Design and Encoder components of the suite but I am sure that I would be between a rock and hard place if I needed them.  It is a shame that MS can't push out a fix for this using Windows Update.

Brian Sanborn
    Groton, MA

• Edited by bpsanborn Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:21 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Hi Jim,

I applied the hotfix (full file) in order to re-install Expression Web 4 on my new Windows 7 machine (my old machine is being retired - windows XP); as I was getting the dreaded "Product Key is not valid"...

Everything worked without a hitch and I can run Expression Web on the new machine -- however, under the "Help" menu -- there is no longer any option to enter a product key or activate the product -- is this normal?

Expression Web version: 4.0.1338.0 SP2

I just want to make sure I did everything correctly before moving the actual sites over to the new machine.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:23 PM
  • Hi, Brent. Yes, that's normal.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Thanks Jim,

Also missing from Help->About Microsoft Expression Web is the phrase "This is a fully licensed copy".

It might be a good idea to update the hotfix notice that this is the "normal" end result after the hotfix is applied -- I thought I was hooped when I realized things went missing from the Help menu.

As an aside, how would one re-enter the product key if need be (given there is no option to do so?).

Cheers!

Friday, September 7, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Jim, please bump the FAQ back to the top of the thread list, or reopen it so that we can do so. Thanks.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Saturday, September 8, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Hi Jim, Many thanks for the 'fix'. Just replaced my HDD with an SSD, now desktop PC 'flies'!! All other MS programs working ok except EW4. Needed to run the full 'fix', but now all seems well with EW4 so I can get back to keeping my web sites updated. Cheers, Mike A (mikera32)

Mike.

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Jim, please bump the FAQ back to the top of the thread list, or reopen it so that we can do so. Thanks.

Any chance you could lock this one, too, to keep people from posting "thank you" to it and bumping it back to the top? Or unlock the other one so that we can do it?

To any newly happy users of the fix—please DO NOT post your thanks here. We prefer to have the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here thread at the top of the forum's thread list (it is referenced as being there in many existing posts), and posting here, unfortunately, pushes that thread back down to the second position. Kindly refrain from doing so; we're glad that everything's copacetic again, and all that, but we really don't need to hear about it. Thank you.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:03 PM
  • I authored a report of a bug regarding activation of Expression Web 4 in the following (now closed) ticket:
    http://connectppe.microsoft.com/Expression/feedback/details/637531/expression-web-4-bug-when-forced-to-re-activate-due-to-hardware-changes#details

I just tried to install both the regular and the FullFile versions of this hotfix which is supposed to address this issue.  However, the installation on both hotfix files tries to install the fix at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression.  I have Expression installed on a different drive, and the installation program for the hotifx does not allow me to change that location.  When I click on "Options" in the appropriate place during the installation process it does not allow me to edit the path in the Location field.

This is also related to my original post in these forums:
    http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/05644e4c-be12-4ff8-bf5f-0b8930fdf811/#05644e4c-be12-4ff8-bf5f-0b8930fdf811

This appears to be a bug in the bug fix...  :(

• Edited by Gorkster Friday, November 30, 2012 3:10 AM Fixed links
    Friday, November 30, 2012 3:01 AM
  • Cannot reinstall Expression Web 4 - Product key is refused!

UPDATE: I called MS Store who issued a new link so I could download and install the product. A big plus: I did not need the hotfix : it installed direct in a snap.    

Hi,

I made a clean install of Windows 8 on my machine, and as I try to reinstall Expression Web Studio 4 with the product key I received when I purchased the download version, it tells me that the key is not valid.  I tripled checked that, but can't figure out.

I am led to the link provided above for the ''hotfix''. However, while my situation is listed (''cannot install product, key refused''), there appear to be some contradiction in the prerequisites: 

Prerequisites

You must have Expression Web 4 Service Pack 2 to apply this hotfix package.

Since this was released in October 2011 according to that article, I most likely do not have this package since I purchased this download version in MARCH 2011. As I certainly want to avoid installing crap in a freshly installed OS (which means an entire week-end in my bunker away from my children and wife), what are my other solutions?  

Or should I risk that ''hotfix'' ??

Rob

• Edited by lanstrad Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:55 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Hi, Rob. You can use the Full_File download and that will work fine for you. Note that this fix is only Expression Web. If you want the fix for Expression Design, you can call us and we will provide it for you.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:01 AM
  • Sad to see that last bit (last few lines) of your email now edited out because I have felt similarly after the problems I posted with regard to licensing and now the problem with the fix I reported a few posts above.  It's disheartening, and there are no signs anyone is doing anything about it.  I should have just spent the extra money on you-know-what software.  I brought the initial problem to the attention of the devs on 1/22/2011; nearly two years ago.

Glad to hear MS Store took care of you!  My contacts with MS regarding the problem did NOT go so smoothly.

@Jim
    Did you see my report a few posts above about the fix not allowing the user to install it if Expression was installed in a location other than the default location?

• Edited by Gorkster Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:09 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:02 AM
  • This isn't a bug in the hotfix. The package you download is a self-extractable package that will extract the actual hotfix to your machine. Once that has been extracted, you run it to install the fix. The fix patches the existing Expression Web install no matter where it happens to be.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:57 PM
  • I missed it earlier, but I just replied.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:58 PM
  • I understand how an archive works, and it successfully "unzips" to the folder I choose.  The error occurs during the installation of the hotfix after it is unzipped.  Please see the two attached photos.  Note that in the first photo, as I described above, the user is unable to change the path.  On my computer Expression Web is installed at D:\Productive\MSexpression, not the default location the installer of the hotfix wants to install the hotfix to. The C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression path is not valid on my computer.

The second photo shows the error I described.  I have no idea why the installer is trying to find a file at the location the error specifies. While I do have an e:\ volume I don't have any programs installed on that volume. It is for data only. Programs which save data use the volume, but no programs are installed there.

I may be wrong, but I'm sure you can see why I've jumped to the conclusion that this problem may have something to do with the fact the installer indicates a faulty location.

Note the locatio box is greyed outI do have an e:\ path but have no idea why setup is lookin here

Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:30 AM
  • I just ran into this problem today (two years later) and the hotfix (full) fixed the problem (I think). Thanks for the post Jim.

Quick question. Has Microsoft come out with a new product to replace Expression now that support is waning?

Thursday, December 5, 2013 5:05 PM
  • No.  Keep using EW - it won't stop working just because MS isn't updating it.

MS is of the opinion that Visual Studio replaces EW. VS isn't a new development, but it is a still supported development with regular updates.  However, it is for asp.net sites.

I use VS primarily - asp.net development is what I do for a living - but I can't imagine why a non-asp.net site would be developed using it, while EW supports them handily.

Friday, December 6, 2013 12:19 AM
  • Hello,

I've been on the phone for about three hours and just got transferred over and over again.  Finally they instructed me to support.microsoft.com/oas.  It  is the only way I can get help for my product according to the person on the phone.  There is a credit card charge of $259.00 before you can even get someone to help.

I paid $149.95 for Expression Studio 4 Web Professional and it does not work.  It says my Product Key is not valid.  I tried the link in the first post but there is no hotfix link there and I was able to search and found a hotlink to be emailed to me.  That hotfix did not work.

Very frustrated.  Quick to take money slow to provide assistance.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:50 PM
  • Dude, are you ever in the wrong place! This is a user to user forum, and even in the old days (pre-December 2012) when MS was still developing the product, this was not a support forum. The only way to get actual MS support is the paid venue that you have already referenced. There is not now, nor has there EVER been, any source of free support, no matter what you paid. And, if you paid full price for EW4, you are either a moron or unbelievably unobservant, since MS offered a "competitive upgrade" price of $79 for owning almost any MS or Adobe CS software, and the installation routine doesn't even check for qualifying products. I know of no one who actually paid full price, and I suspect that you really didn't either.

In any event, the product is now completely free, and doesn't even have to be activated, so download and install the free version.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:35 PM
  • First, paying for MS support of paid-for EW isn't required if the problem is really with MS software, but they take your credit card in case it is not their problem.  You wouldn't be charged on the card if it was an EW issue, but you would be if was a problem from other software interference or an issue with your own system.  This was explained in the forum FAQ post (which you should read before posting in a forum).  Look for the section starting with "When I open a case with Microsoft Consumer Technical Support using the information above, it requires a credit card and says that the case will cost either $99 or $259. Is that true?"  Several users have reported back to confirm that they were not charged for an actual EW issue.

Regardless, as you would also know from reading the forum FAQ post, this not a technical support forum, and we are other users just like you and have no access to anything you don't have access to.

You can certainly try Scott's suggestion to download the free (not trial), latest and final EW4 and use that, which would be faster than getting any product key issues resolved.  Now, the free version has no MS support.  However since the usual support asked of MS, at least that has been mentioned in this forum, relates to product key issues, that likely won't matter, since the free version doesn't need you to enter one.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:10 PM
  • I read most of it but just vented I guess and palady you just me the moron cause I paid full price for it.  Thats what you get when you try to do things the right way.

At any rate, thanks to the both of you and Happy New Year.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:33 PM