none
I need to use multiple kinects, downgrading to kinect v1's but problem... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project I need to use 3 sensors for to cover a 30' length of area. 

I wanted to use xtion pro sensors to avoid the need for a power plug for each sensor, but it seems openNI.org is gone, and the version available on structure sensor's website doesn't appear to work anymore with my older projects (Unity 3d wrapper) I need to utilize and I can't find an archive of historical releases for it and NITE 2....

So Kinect v1 appears to be my best option, but you can't buy them anymore and the only Kinect v1 for WINDOWS that I can find new is $999 each with 250+ sales already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's not an option so now I need to know whether the xbox 360 version is going to work on windows and what version of MS kinect SDK do I need????????? Any adapter needed or does it plug into the USB?

And can I even connect 3 sensors to the same computer if I have 3 different USB controllers?!?!?!?

Thanks,

• Edited by lmbarns Monday, February 9, 2015 5:43 PM
    Monday, February 9, 2015 5:41 PM

All replies

• As for OpenNI, the team at Occipital has taken over as stewards of the project: http://structure.io/openni

For Kinect for Windows v1, at a hardware level, the SDK supports up to 4 sensors(limited by # of USB2 host controllers of the system). There are some technical difference/features from running v1 vs Xbox 360 sensors you can search for those on the forum/web. The main issue comes to deployment. Only Kinect for Windows v1 hardware is supported for commercial deployments.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, February 9, 2015 9:48 PM
  • We've ordered a new Kinect 2 but the windows versions are out of stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY XBOX ONE is being sold on the Microsoft site!!!!!

Can we use the Kinect v2 for Xbox one commercially????

Monday, February 23, 2015 5:54 PM
  • We had announced that you can use the Xbox One sensor with the Kinect for Windows adapter as supported option when we launched the SDK. See the FAQ, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/MeetKinect/FAQ.aspx

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:15 PM