HTML5 Development for win 8 desktop can done & fully test in a win 7 or mac with VM: Win 8,... RRS feed

• Question

• HTML5 Development for win 8 desktop can done & fully test in a win 7 or mac with VM: Win 8 or 8.1, unlike win 8 phone html5 development that requires win 8.1 machine for phone emulator to test hybrid App.... unless you have a real win 8.1 mobile device to test app even in VM.

This is true? yes true , No, is Not true

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Friday, September 5, 2014 9:21 AM
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Lespolis123,

Because your issue is about win8 desktop app, I moved this thread to General Windows Desktop Development Issues forum for better support and solution.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 5, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

>>HTML5 Development for win 8 desktop can done & fully test in a win 7 or mac with VM: Win 8 or 8.1......

In my experience, the answer is true.

From Visual Studio 2010, Microsoft has provided development tool to support HTML5 development, please refer to the following reference:

#Building Apps with HTML5: What You Need to Know
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh335062.aspx

In early 2011, Microsoft updated two of its development tools with service packs: Visual Studio 2010 and Expression Web 4. The service packs for both of these tools provided an HTML5 document type for validation, as well as IntelliSense for new HTML5 tags and attributes. If you’re using Visual Studio 2010 SP1, you can enable the HTML5 Schema by clicking Tools | Options | Text Editor | HTML | Validation, and then selecting the HTML5 option in the Target drop-down list, as shown in Figure 1......

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 5, 2014 9:29 AM
  • You say desktop app, but from context I suspect you really are asking about Windows Store apps (aka Windows Runtime apps. See What's a Windows Runtime app? ).

Writing Windows Store apps require Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. This can be done in a VM on a Mac. Windows Store apps don't use an emulator like Windows Phone apps do and so do not require Hyper-V for local testing.

You should be able to run the Windows Phone emulator on a Mac if you run Windows 8 or 8.1 in Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

--Rob

Saturday, September 6, 2014 7:24 AM
  • You should be able to run the Windows Phone emulator on a Mac if you run Windows 8 or 8.1 in Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

This is true for all Intel Macs...or win 7 pro, i5 quad, 16GB ram. I have a very old 2006-7 macbookpro. ..well?

For Yosemite Mac Mini or Macbookpro ... yet to come, but soon will be here... the win phone 8.1 emulator should be able to run...?

Without doubt yes

No

Should be run

• Edited by lsepolis123 Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:20 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:17 PM
  • I can help with HTML 5

My last apple product died after a heavy rain recently got to it, so I am not able to use a 640x480 brower at the moment

you will need a lot of handsets to do mobile development, lots of them

android and apple etc

I also use Azure so I can help with a database back end

I suggest uploading any code to OneDrive or source control as this is not a simple project

Corsair Carbide 300R with TX850V2
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2 (GK104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:55 PM
  • No related to my post...please reply Yosemite Mac even Mini without doubt can run win phone 8.1 emulator in a VM?
    Friday, September 12, 2014 7:52 AM
  • Probably. You'll have to ask Apple about their upcoming specs, but I would expect it to have at least the same capabilities as the current. 
    Friday, September 12, 2014 8:01 AM
  • In some forums listened that win Phone 8.1 emulator runs only in windows 8.1, NOT in VM... contradicting above...

So current Mac [and most possibly Yosemite Macs] even Mini without doubt can run win phone 8.1 emulator in a VM when I have eg VmWare Fusion : VM: Win 8.1 - and hardware permits?

reply, the latter is 

• True is can run in VM if hardware permits
    •  Wrong can run only in NOT VM - only in win 8.1 host
    Sunday, September 14, 2014 1:18 PM
  • So the

reply, the latter is 

• True is can run in VM if hardware permits
    Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:51 PM
  • It depends on the hardware and the specific VM profile. See the links I posted earlier for instructions on setting up those specific environments to run the emulator.
    Sunday, September 14, 2014 4:51 PM
  • I run in win 7 host the VM guest win 8 ... this means Hyper-V is enabled?

I think during install denied in vmware Player, after enabled a setting all OK... but not remember what setting.

where activate Hyper-V ??? for emulator to work?

Sunday, September 14, 2014 6:44 PM
  • I run in win 7 host the VM guest win 8 ... this means Hyper-V is enabled?

I think during install denied in vmware Player, after enabled a setting all OK... but not remember what setting.

where activate Hyper-V ??? for emulator to work?

Hyper-V is a new feature for Windows 8 desktops, pro or better

and for servers in Data Centers there is a stand alone version

Windows Server has been providing Hyper-V since Server 2008 R2. Server 2008 was updated to provide it after RTM.

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Hyper-V exist on recent Macs?
    Monday, September 15, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Hyper-V exist on recent Macs?

I looked into that, with an eye towards developing for Apple, but they frown on the practice by refusing to allow the use of a virtual machine

Apple has rather restrictive licenses

Monday, September 15, 2014 12:24 PM
  • I used success win7 and emulator works

http://developer.nokia.com/community/wiki/Windows_Phone_8_SDK_on_a_Virtual_Machi ne_with_Working_Emulator

this applies to Mac host VM:Guest:win 8 as well? emulator runs in such a Mac set up (VM)?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/jj945424.aspx

Friday, September 19, 2014 7:00 PM
  • I used success win7 and emulator works

http://developer.nokia.com/community/wiki/Windows_Phone_8_SDK_on_a_Virtual_Machi ne_with_Working_Emulator

this applies to Mac host VM:Guest:win 8 as well? emulator runs in such a Mac set up (VM)?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/jj945424.aspx

I think you need to try it by yourself...It depends on virtualization software

Best Regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Monday, September 22, 2014 8:24 AM
  • if run the same visualization software as windows (but for Mac) probably should run the emulator (win phone 8.1)??? All Macs run emulator when proper visualization software?
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:14 PM