Can FTP server be used on Sharepoint? RRS feed

• Question

• I just wanted to check that can we use FTP server for our SharePoint setup since our vendors outside upload files and we download those file?

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Per my knowledge, you need to create a domain with some other servers such as SQL server and AD server. The FTP server needs to be in the same domain with these servers.

Then you can install SharePoint in FTP server to download and upload document.

Here is a detailed article for your reference:

Install and Configure SharePoint 2013

Thanks

Best Regards

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 8:48 AM
  • Please see this response in another post

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/86e49e67-5265-40ee-9e4e-c422f1c2697f/can-sharepoint-server-be-used-as-ftp-server?forum=sharepointgenerallegacy

Quote: "

If you're asking can SharePoint do the job of an FTP server, in short, yes it can.  I'd not see the benefit to this though, you'd have to set up a different application, security and set of accounts, let alone secure the correct number of licenses for getting external people into your network. With FTP, you'd simply have to come up with a file structure and permission it accordingly.

As you've correctly identified, there are file size issues with SharePoint, which whilst they can be manipulated, default at 50MB.

Hope that helps,"

Brian Jones

Thursday, July 2, 2015 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Per my knowledge, you need to create a domain with some other servers such as SQL server and AD server. The FTP server needs to be in the same domain with these servers.

Then you can install SharePoint in FTP server to download and upload document.

Here is a detailed article for your reference:

Install and Configure SharePoint 2013

Thanks

Best Regards

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 8:48 AM
  • Please see this response in another post

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/86e49e67-5265-40ee-9e4e-c422f1c2697f/can-sharepoint-server-be-used-as-ftp-server?forum=sharepointgenerallegacy

Quote: "

If you're asking can SharePoint do the job of an FTP server, in short, yes it can.  I'd not see the benefit to this though, you'd have to set up a different application, security and set of accounts, let alone secure the correct number of licenses for getting external people into your network. With FTP, you'd simply have to come up with a file structure and permission it accordingly.

As you've correctly identified, there are file size issues with SharePoint, which whilst they can be manipulated, default at 50MB.

Hope that helps,"

Brian Jones

Thursday, July 2, 2015 4:38 PM