none
Windows 8.1 download does not install RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to install the 64-bit downloaded image on my Dell laptop with Intel Core I-5-2450M CPU it fails during Setup (right after successful product key entry) with the message: "Something Happened: Setup has failed to determine supported install choices".  However, I didn't really make any install choices that I was aware of....

Anyone know what might be going on??

Michael Halvorson

Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:57 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the replies.  What I ended up doing is going to the Window Store and installing the Windows 8.1 preview software from there.  What I had tried is creating a setup image and running that directly from my hard disk.  That created the fail messages noted above, but the Windows 8.1 preview updated my Windows 8 installation fine when launched from the Windows Store.

What MSFT might do is simply clarify its messaging/instructions about the various procedures for installing.  What Dave notes above about only clean installations of Windows 8.1 preview being supported is probably true for that software/sku, but the instructions don't indicate this, nor does the error message "something happened".  I was invited to participate in the preview and followed the link given, but I should have been directed to the Windows Store.  Of course, I could only access the Store 'cause I was running Windows 8 already.

Mike

Michael Halvorson

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:48 PM
  • If you are trying to install the Windows 8.1 Preview and NOT the Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Preview you should go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview to install.  There will be instructions for both the ISO and the App store.  If you do not see the update in the app store, you should be directed to install a small update before being able to see it.  If you still can't see it I recommend going to Windows 8.1 Preview forum for additional support where the Windows Team can give you additional assistance.

Thanks!

Christine Ahonen, Program Manager

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Can you tell us how you were running setup?

One thing to note is that for Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry only clean installations are supported and you cannot upgrade from a previous installation of Windows and retain settings and applications.

Upgrades from 8.1 Industry to future versions are something that we do wish to support, clearly that may also depend on the future version as well.

Thanks

Dave Massy, Program Manager

Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:02 PM
  • I had the same problem. I couldn't get it to work, even after a successful key and updates. I couldn't get it to work from a USB flash driive (with boot options) It wouldn't boot to it, even after I tried to tell the BIOS to do so. In other words, I need help too.  I have 8 Pro now, so what must be done to get this to work?
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.  What I ended up doing is going to the Window Store and installing the Windows 8.1 preview software from there.  What I had tried is creating a setup image and running that directly from my hard disk.  That created the fail messages noted above, but the Windows 8.1 preview updated my Windows 8 installation fine when launched from the Windows Store.

What MSFT might do is simply clarify its messaging/instructions about the various procedures for installing.  What Dave notes above about only clean installations of Windows 8.1 preview being supported is probably true for that software/sku, but the instructions don't indicate this, nor does the error message "something happened".  I was invited to participate in the preview and followed the link given, but I should have been directed to the Windows Store.  Of course, I could only access the Store 'cause I was running Windows 8 already.

Mike

Michael Halvorson

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Okay, but that didn't solve my problem. I couldn't download from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso or from the Store (where is it there, because the link on that page doesn't work, and neither does the key that ends with "NYNTF". The other key that ends with "82M37" does. I need to be directed to the Store, but neither of the links work on that page.
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 6:20 PM
  • If you are trying to install the Windows 8.1 Preview and NOT the Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Preview you should go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview to install.  There will be instructions for both the ISO and the App store.  If you do not see the update in the app store, you should be directed to install a small update before being able to see it.  If you still can't see it I recommend going to Windows 8.1 Preview forum for additional support where the Windows Team can give you additional assistance.

Thanks!

Christine Ahonen, Program Manager

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:48 PM
  • "Something Happened: Setup has failed to determine supported install choices"

In case anybody else gets this error message and they are upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 8.1 pro this error message as cryptic as possibly means that the software has to be added as a feature.  Unlike previous versions of the pro addition for windows this is an actual feature not a new OS.  Therefore you have to go to the add features option, put in your product key and watch it go.  I spent 4 hours on MS tech support to discover this, and I would not wish it on my worst enemy.  Hope this helps somebody...

Cheers.

Friday, January 30, 2015 12:26 AM
  • This thread should be moved to the Windows Answer forums since this forum is for Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry, which is a different version of the OS.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, January 30, 2015 2:37 AM
  • Bravo!  The most clear, spot on, helpful post I've ever encountered in a forum like this.  Thank you!  I am in your debt.
    Friday, March 13, 2015 5:35 PM
  • THANK YOU! I tried several times to install but it just wasn't working - same completely ridiculous "Something Happened" message. Saw this and the same thing, adding as a feature, worked for me. Also, I'm using the Student/Faculty edition of Windows 8.1 Pro from my university if anyone else is using that - this is the solution for it too.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:59 PM
  • bro how did u solve that problem i am also want to install student/faculty edition

Friday, November 6, 2015 2:35 PM
  • So Here is the Solution. When I tried to install windows 8.1 from windows 10, gave me same error. But, you can install it by changing its compatibility. I just changed its compatibility by right clicking on the downloaded windows 8.1 x86 setup then clicking on properties then in compatibility tab check the compatibility and set it to windows 7. Thanks.

Friday, November 13, 2015 3:57 PM