none
MS SQL Server Install error

Question

• I have a ThinkServer with an Intel Xeon E2-1226 v3 processor and 32 gigs of RAM running Windows Server 2016 Essentials.  I'm trying to set it up to run a simple web based forum and I'm attempting to install MS SQL Server 2017 Express.  I've done this installation successfully several times for almost two decades, starting with Windows Server 2000 on an Access back end, to a Windows Server 2008 with MS SQL Server 2014 and now to my newest server build.

I first attempted to install MS SQL Server 2014 Express and it failed trying to install the database engine.  After several failed attempts with the same result, I uninstalled 2014 and attempted to install MS SQL Server 2017 Express and I'm getting the same error no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall.  If I don't uninstall and install another instance, the installation will be complete but then I have two instances running (SQLExpress and SQLExpress01).  While I could probably make this work, I'd like a single installation that works and I don't know why it will install as a second instance successfully but not a first.

Guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nathan in Montana

Nathan In Montana

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Nathan,

If the failed installation is not removed completely, it will cause the error for next installation. Please uninstall the SQL Server completely, then install the SQL Server again.

You can refer to the following steps to remove the SQL Server.

1. Go to "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features" to remove SQL Server and their components.
    2. Back up the registry.
    3. Delete the following keys in regedit:

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" to delete all the sub-keys related to SQL Server

Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" to delete all the keys related to SQL Server

1. Remove all the SQL Server folders in your machine.
    2. Reboot your machine.

After that, please try to install SQL Server Express as administrator again.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by MontanaBighorn Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:10 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:21 AM

All replies

• If I run the install wizard again without uninstalling anything else it will install as a second instance.  But I don't want two instances and I don't want to delete the first one risking losing anything required by the second instance.  I just want a single instance to install properly.
    Thanks,

Nathan In Montana

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:22 PM
  • That error, "Could not find the database startup handle" means that SQL Server did not start when Setup intended to run installation scripts.

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\MSSQL14$SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\LOG and look that the file ERRORLOG. The reason why it does not start is there. If you don't understand what is going on, post the log here.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 10:34 PM
  • Hi Nathan,

If the failed installation is not removed completely, it will cause the error for next installation. Please uninstall the SQL Server completely, then install the SQL Server again.

You can refer to the following steps to remove the SQL Server.

1. Go to "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features" to remove SQL Server and their components.
    2. Back up the registry.
    3. Delete the following keys in regedit:

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" to delete all the sub-keys related to SQL Server

Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" to delete all the keys related to SQL Server

1. Remove all the SQL Server folders in your machine.
    2. Reboot your machine.

After that, please try to install SQL Server Express as administrator again.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by MontanaBighorn Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:10 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:21 AM
  • Thank you for the response.  Before I got it, I had demoted my server and it never prompted me to set the local Administrator password like the tutorial said it would, so ultimately I was locked out of my machine.  Instead of utilizing the password cracking software (Linux boot disk), I formatted and reinstalled my operating system without installing Active Directory.  After reinstalling, I successfully installed SQL Server 2014 With Tools and had no problems, so far.  But I do have questions about the latest install.  I do not want it to serve as a Domain Controller, but I'll start a new discussion with the specifics.

Thanks again,

Nathan In Montana

Sunday, January 13, 2019 4:12 AM
  • Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your update.

We are glad to hear that you have installed the SQL Server via reinstalling the operating system without installing Active Directory.

If it is convenient, in order to close the thread, could you please kindly mark helpful replies as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2019 2:22 AM