Shut down and sleep not working.

Question

• The preview is great, but has its share of problems. I've reinstalled it multiple times and have the same consistent problem: whenever i try to shut down or put the computer to sleep the screen goes black, monitor enters stand by but the HDDs won't power down and neither does the system. An issue that might be related is that the SATA controller drivers from Windows Update do not install properly. What I mean is they install but upon restart Windows can't boot, searches for solutions and fixes the problem by not using the updated drivers. Could these be related?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:13 AM

All replies

• I do not know if the SATA drivers could play a role in your issue; what I can state is that :Shut down" does not shut my system down at all: I am testing on a Toshiba M400 Tablet and if I "shut down" the system and unplug it from power the next morning the battery is dead therefore the computer neither shut down nor went in hibernation; at most it was in a sleeping status.

Sincerely

Fritzly

Fritzly
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:22 AM
  • I bet yours is still working, not even sleeping. I have a desktop with three HDDs and a bunch of coolers so I can really tell if it's working. I don't think it's sleep mode in your case though.

This is what I guess might be the process when my computer tries to shut down: it powers down the VGA, the network also (I see ot briefly disconnected after moving the mouse and exits the so-called sleep) but fails to turn off the HDDs and motherboard which would mean it could be an ACPI issue

Later edit: Sleep is now working All you have to do is open up your power plan and modify the Hybrid sleep setting to off and the it will work. Shut down still does not work
    • Edited by Raith Krace Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:03 PM Partial answer
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Have you applied the Windows Updates?

The following update may help with your issue.
    Article ID: 2617868 - Windows Developer Preview still consumes battery power when Windows Developer Preview moves from sleep mode to hibernation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2617868

You can apply just this update or go to Windows Update and apply all of the current fixes.

Please let us know if it helps.

Marilyn

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:58 AM