Can we configure mirooring and log hsipping both DR in one database? RRS feed

• Question

• Can we configure mirooring and log hsipping both DR in one database?

If yes how it does work.

Many Thanks

Shashikala

Monday, May 26, 2014 4:45 AM

Answers

• Yes, log shipping and mirroring can go hand in hand.

Please refer the below article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187016.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Monday, May 26, 2014 10:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by tracycai Friday, May 30, 2014 7:43 AM
    Monday, May 26, 2014 5:00 AM
  • You CAN definitely use log shipping and mirroring at the same time. You can make use of log shipping to ship the log to a remote site for DR and have a database-mirroring, high-availability configuration locally. However, Sometimes it is a slight bit tiresome to set up log shipping going the other way once a failover has occurred, whereas mirroring is easy in that portion.

Some DBA use this two together if you they have to use bulk-logged recovery model, since mirroring only uses the full recovery model and in another scenario in database mirroring, we cannot use mirroring database as reporting (cannot query) unless we don’t create snapshot out it, but in log shipping, the database is in standby mode so we can query if it is not being restored at the same time. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that has answered your question as it is very relevant to other community members dealing with same problem in seeking the right answer

• Edited by Abubeker Refaw Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Hi Shashikala,

You can configure mirroring & log shipping in one database. 

Here I am pointing you another very nice article on 

Setup database mirroring and log shipping together

Thanks

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:18 AM

If yes how it does work.

Many Thanks

Shashikala

As other replies suggested, yes you can configure mirroring and log shipping in one database.

But why you want to have both of them on same database, if you are using log shipping database for read only access then there is a Availability Group concept in MS Sql 2012 onward, wherein you can configure your mirrored database with read only access also you can take backup of secondary databases.

If you are using MS SQL 2012 then you can make use of this new feature, for more info refer below link.

Overview of AlwaysOn Availability Groups (SQL Server)

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    Praveen Dsa | MCITP - Database Administrator 2008 | My Blog | My Page

• Marked as answer by tracycai Friday, May 30, 2014 7:44 AM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:46 AM

All replies

• Yes, log shipping and mirroring can go hand in hand.

Please refer the below article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187016.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Monday, May 26, 2014 10:06 AM
    Monday, May 26, 2014 5:00 AM
  • By doing it what you want to acheive

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Monday, May 26, 2014 6:12 AM
  • You CAN definitely use log shipping and mirroring at the same time. You can make use of log shipping to ship the log to a remote site for DR and have a database-mirroring, high-availability configuration locally. However, Sometimes it is a slight bit tiresome to set up log shipping going the other way once a failover has occurred, whereas mirroring is easy in that portion.

Some DBA use this two together if you they have to use bulk-logged recovery model, since mirroring only uses the full recovery model and in another scenario in database mirroring, we cannot use mirroring database as reporting (cannot query) unless we don’t create snapshot out it, but in log shipping, the database is in standby mode so we can query if it is not being restored at the same time. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that has answered your question as it is very relevant to other community members dealing with same problem in seeking the right answer

• Edited by Abubeker Refaw Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Hi Shashikala,

You can configure mirroring & log shipping in one database. 

Here I am pointing you another very nice article on 

Setup database mirroring and log shipping together

Thanks

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:18 AM

If yes how it does work.

Many Thanks

Shashikala

As other replies suggested, yes you can configure mirroring and log shipping in one database.

But why you want to have both of them on same database, if you are using log shipping database for read only access then there is a Availability Group concept in MS Sql 2012 onward, wherein you can configure your mirrored database with read only access also you can take backup of secondary databases.

If you are using MS SQL 2012 then you can make use of this new feature, for more info refer below link.

Overview of AlwaysOn Availability Groups (SQL Server)

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    Praveen Dsa | MCITP - Database Administrator 2008 | My Blog | My Page

• Marked as answer by tracycai Friday, May 30, 2014 7:44 AM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:46 AM