none
Creating a Word 2013 Document Project in Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've started to read about Document-Level and Application-Level development for Microsoft Office products, more precisely for Microsoft Word 2013.  So after reading around, I decided to try and follow the different walk-though documentations theirs is about Word 2013 development.

So I checked for the prerequisites and everything seems to be installed: 

• Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 suite
    • Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate
    • Microsoft Office developer tools (got it from here since I didn't remember if I had it installed http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43664)
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and 4.5.1

Since all was good, I decided to try it out.  I closed all Word and Excel documents that where opened and created a new Word 2013 Add-in project.  That worked just fine.  Then I tried to create a Word 2013 Document Project.  At the last step of the process when it's actually creating the project, I get the following error: "Programmatic access to the Microsoft Office Visual Basic for Applications project system could not be enabled..."

I tried to find info around the web, but everything seems to be ok.  My trust level is good in Word and Excel, I even added the path where I want to create the project in the trusted locations. 

The only thing in my mind that could maybe cause this is that I have Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components installed.

Thx,

Patrick Racicot

Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Patrick

Your question is about VSTO (document-level customizations and add-ins using VS templates) so I'm going to move it to the VSTO forum where you can get more targeted assistance.

FWIW I believe Fei's thought may be on-target: the VSTO tool in Visual Studio can only work correctly if it finds just ONE version of Office installed on the developer machine. The 2003 components could be causing the issue.

<<error: "Programmatic access to the Microsoft Office Visual Basic for Applications project system could not be enabled...">>

This refers to the checkbox "Trust access to the VBA project object model" in File/OPtions/Trust Center/Trust Center Settings/Macro Settings". Normally, VSTO can make this change, but apparently on your system it cannot. You can try activating the option yourself and see if VSTO is then able to proceed.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, August 15, 2014 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Patrick Racicot,

Thank you for posting on the TechNet Forum.

Since this is a Word 2013 development issue, I'd like to move it to Word for Developers forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Steve Fan

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Friday, August 15, 2014 1:40 AM
  • Hi Patrick,

As far as I know, Office solution couldn't work correctly when the multiple Office solution installed. I suggest that you un-install the Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components and Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 suite. Then re-install the Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 suite to see whether this issue was fixed.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 15, 2014 3:22 AM
  • Hi Patrick

Your question is about VSTO (document-level customizations and add-ins using VS templates) so I'm going to move it to the VSTO forum where you can get more targeted assistance.

FWIW I believe Fei's thought may be on-target: the VSTO tool in Visual Studio can only work correctly if it finds just ONE version of Office installed on the developer machine. The 2003 components could be causing the issue.

<<error: "Programmatic access to the Microsoft Office Visual Basic for Applications project system could not be enabled...">>

This refers to the checkbox "Trust access to the VBA project object model" in File/OPtions/Trust Center/Trust Center Settings/Macro Settings". Normally, VSTO can make this change, but apparently on your system it cannot. You can try activating the option yourself and see if VSTO is then able to proceed.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, August 15, 2014 3:51 PM