Can no longer add views with periods in the name (Visual Studio Pro 2013) RRS feed

• Question

• User-881099725 posted

I am using Visual Studio Professional 2013 and for one of my ASP.NET MVC 5 solutions a couple of weeks ago, it was perfectly fine to add new views with a period in their name. For example adding "About.es" which would create the Spanish language localized version of About.cshtml as About.es.cshtml.

Now I have another ASP.NET MVC 5 solutions made with the same IDE but it does not allow me to create any (partial) view  with a period in it, I get the following error message:

"Add View

The name is not allowed to contain any of these characters: . - @ < .........

"

so why is that all of a sudden without making any change to the IDE? Now I can only create them without period. On the Solution Explorer I can rename them to the name with period (workaround) but I used to be able to name the view with period in it.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:12 PM

Answers

• User-1454326058 posted

Hi degt,

I can reproduce that scene in the VS2013 with update 2.

You could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio . The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your idea there so the others can vote it. If you submit this suggestion, you might post that link here which will benefit others who has the similar issue,

Thanks

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 18, 2014 4:35 AM

All replies

• User465171450 posted

Did you update your nuget packages? There was a new drop of MVC recently to MVC 5.2 and perhaps that did it. You may want to check and see if there is anything in the release notes. It may be worth checking if you have a 5.1 or 5.0 project and see if they do the same. If not, then it could be the 5.2 update.

Friday, July 18, 2014 1:37 AM
  • User-1454326058 posted

Hi degt,

I can reproduce that scene in the VS2013 with update 2.

You could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio . The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your idea there so the others can vote it. If you submit this suggestion, you might post that link here which will benefit others who has the similar issue,

Thanks

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 18, 2014 4:35 AM