Cannot open include file: 'windowsx.h' RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting the following error when trying to compile chapter 2 code for the book "programming a multiplayer fps in DirectX" by: vaughan young I am using visual c++ 2005 express edition and have installed Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (October 2004) and Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2006)

I don’t know how to get the compiler to see the DirectX and I have never used DirectX before. I recently purchased a bunch of DirectX books in hopes to get into making games and multimedia programs but had to also up grade to this new compiler that I don’t know a lot about. before this I had been working with text based applications.

There seam to be nothing on the web about how to get this problem fixed. I have checked everywhere. If some one can give me step by step instructions that would be greatly appreciated. So far people have just been sending me links to pages that don’t seam to help me out at all as the writes of the pages seam to not understand simplicity of web base design.

c:\documents and settings\owner\desktop\chapter 2\engine\engine.h(22) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windowsx.h': No such file or directory

Monday, July 17, 2006 12:42 AM

Answers

•  mepatuhoo wrote:

I am getting the following error when trying to compile chapter 2 code for the book "programming a multiplayer fps in DirectX" by: vaughan young I am using visual c++ 2005 express edition and have installed Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (October 2004) and Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2006)

I don’t know how to get the compiler to see the DirectX and I have never used DirectX before. I recently purchased a bunch of DirectX books in hopes to get into making games and multimedia programs but had to also up grade to this new compiler that I don’t know a lot about. before this I had been working with text based applications.

There seam to be nothing on the web about how to get this problem fixed. I have checked everywhere. If some one can give me step by step instructions that would be greatly appreciated. So far people have just been sending me links to pages that don’t seam to help me out at all as the writes of the pages seam to not understand simplicity of web base design.

c:\documents and settings\owner\desktop\chapter 2\engine\engine.h(22) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windowsx.h': No such file or directory

You are using the express edition.  You also need to download and install the Platform SDK / WindowsSDK.  I hope this link could help you out.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/

Monday, July 17, 2006 3:56 AM