IIS compression issue RRS feed

• Question

• User1213461788 posted

Hi,

I have a ASP.NET MVC application hosted in IIS 7.

Compression is enabled for static content in IIS. And it is set for only files with size greater than 2700 bytes.

And my application uses jquery-1.8.2.js which is of size more than 200KB.

With the compression setting, jquery-1.8.2.js is getting downloaded partially in the browser and my page is not getting loaded properly.

When I disable compression setting in IIS, jquery-1.8.2.js is getting downloaded properly and my page is working perfectly fine.

Is there any solution for this problem without disabling compression?

Thanks and Regards,

krishna

Thursday, April 4, 2013 11:14 AM

Answers

• User-837620913 posted

Do you have antivirus software running on the server? That could cause the issue you are seeing.

For more detailed steps on troubleshooting IIS compression, see this detailed step-by-step article:

http://www.iis.net/learn/troubleshoot/performance-issues/troubleshooting-iis-compression-issues-in-iis6-iis7x

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 6:25 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

But the troubleshooting page says the file size will be zero in such cases. In my case, it is incomplete file.

Perhaps a 0-byte file returned instead of the expected file when an anti-virus program has scanned the directory where the compressed files get stored.

As mentioned in the link, you could have a try use ETW trace to monitor HTTP requests, it will be helpful to learn it better,

With regards

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:53 AM

All replies

• User-837620913 posted

Do you have antivirus software running on the server? That could cause the issue you are seeing.

For more detailed steps on troubleshooting IIS compression, see this detailed step-by-step article:

http://www.iis.net/learn/troubleshoot/performance-issues/troubleshooting-iis-compression-issues-in-iis6-iis7x

Friday, April 5, 2013 6:25 AM
  • User1213461788 posted

Hello Darrell,

Thanks for the reply.

We do have antivirus software running on the server. At present, I don't have permissions to exclude the folder but I will try it.

But the troubleshooting page says the file size will be zero in such cases. In my case, it is incomplete file.

I've checked the file size in the IIS compression directory and it shows x bytes. I see the same x bytes in the Content-Length header when the file is requested.

Are there any other reasons for this to happen?

Thanks and Regards,

krishna

Friday, April 5, 2013 7:12 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

Perhaps a 0-byte file returned instead of the expected file when an anti-virus program has scanned the directory where the compressed files get stored.

As mentioned in the link, you could have a try use ETW trace to monitor HTTP requests, it will be helpful to learn it better,

With regards

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:53 AM