Install on M6600

Question

• I can't install the W8 Preview on a Dell m6600. I'm installing from the DVD. The problem I run into happens after the DVD has booted and I press the "Install" button to install W8. It gets to the place where you would pick the partition to do the install on. It doesn't show any available partitions and pops up a dialog that saying it doesn't have the CD/DVD driver it needs. It says to remove the install CD/DVD and insert one with the driver on it. This system is running Window 7.

I've not had any luck finding the driver. Is this really a driver problem or are there any other possible things I can look into?

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan Sullivan
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Gary,

I've dug into the problem I'm having a bit more.

I think that the underlying issue might be with the W8 installer itself. This knowledge base article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753 describes the problem I am having.

I did some more tests and tried installing W7 W/SP1 & W8 into a VM, specifically a Virtual Box using vhd. The W7 install worked but the W8 install failed with the same error I've been getting; The install dialog where you choose the partition was empty and there was an error dialog about a missing driver.

This kb article specifically mentions SP1 for W7 added support for these new Advanced Technology drives. BTW I've confirmed that my system does, in fact, have Advanced Technology drives.

So does the installer for W8 have the fixes that SP1 added to W7?

I'm holding off on doing the install because I don't understand enough about these new drives and understand what the RST driver might do to the drive during the install process.

Any chance you could get hold of a system with the new Advanced Technology drives in it and duplicate the problem i'm running into and work out a fix? If it is a Dell system you can confirm it by using the DellAFDT utility that is part of the R306204 driver download from Dell. Or use (as administrator)

>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

and look at the physical bytes per cluster and you will see 4096 .

Dan

Dan Sullivan
    Friday, September 30, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Dan,

There is website version on that site but to make it easier, here is direct link. 

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=5023&FeedbackType=1

Friday, September 30, 2011 4:08 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Dan,

Are you using the 64-bit version of Windows Developer Preview?  If so try this driver here

Its a self-extracting executable.  Click on it, it will extract to a folder on your C: drive, copy the contents of that folder to a DVD or USB stick.  After you click Install Now... and accept the license terms, make sure you choose Custom (advanced) and there's a "Load Driver" button in the lower left.  Click there then browse to the driver at the location where you've copied it.  Reply with results.

Thanks,

Gary
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:21 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Gary,

That did get me further but... The error comes before the Custom choice but that's ok because it just asks me for a cd with the driver on it. After I put the cd in with the driver files on it, it shows me a choice for an "Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller (F:\iaStor.inf)". I press next and it reads the CD then, about 5 minutes later pops up an error that says "The INTEL Mobile Expres... driver could not be installed. Contact your vendor for an updated copy". After that the only choice is to terminate the install.

But this look close, is there any info I can grap off my system that will help?

Dan

Dan Sullivan
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Hi again Gary,

I just remembered there was some infomation about 512e drives that can with the m6600 (it's new) that I ignored because W7 was already installed. I think I should read it now:-) I'll let you know what I figure out but it probably won't be until tomorrow.

Dan

Dan Sullivan
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Gary,

I've used a Dell utility to confirm that my  m6600 has the new Advanced Format 512e drives. I'm pretty sure that is why the W8 Preview install fails when it gets to the dialog that lets you pick the partition you want to install on. I've the pre-OS install Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers for the drives. Sometime tomorrow I'm going to give another try at doing the install using it. If you've got any other information about 512e drives and the W8 Preview I'd appreciate it.

Will 512e drives be supported in the W8 installer going forward?

Dan

Dan Sullivan
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Hi Gary,

I've dug into the problem I'm having a bit more.

I think that the underlying issue might be with the W8 installer itself. This knowledge base article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753 describes the problem I am having.

I did some more tests and tried installing W7 W/SP1 & W8 into a VM, specifically a Virtual Box using vhd. The W7 install worked but the W8 install failed with the same error I've been getting; The install dialog where you choose the partition was empty and there was an error dialog about a missing driver.

This kb article specifically mentions SP1 for W7 added support for these new Advanced Technology drives. BTW I've confirmed that my system does, in fact, have Advanced Technology drives.

So does the installer for W8 have the fixes that SP1 added to W7?

I'm holding off on doing the install because I don't understand enough about these new drives and understand what the RST driver might do to the drive during the install process.

Any chance you could get hold of a system with the new Advanced Technology drives in it and duplicate the problem i'm running into and work out a fix? If it is a Dell system you can confirm it by using the DellAFDT utility that is part of the R306204 driver download from Dell. Or use (as administrator)

>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

and look at the physical bytes per cluster and you will see 4096 .

Dan

Dan Sullivan
    Friday, September 30, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Dan,

Use this link below for web version to submit a feedback. Click on Feedback on left side of page and then click on Submit Feedback button. Please fill out details like your computer specs and your steps that you took trying to fix the issue.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4

Thanks!

Friday, September 30, 2011 3:31 PM
    Answerer
  • The tool you pointed me to will only install on the W8 Preview, but the problem I am having is that I am unable to get the install to work. I'm glad to pass on all the details I can to you, but can you give me a link to a tool I can install on W7 or Vista?

Thanks
    Dan

Dan Sullivan
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Dan,

There is website version on that site but to make it easier, here is direct link. 

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=5023&FeedbackType=1

Friday, September 30, 2011 4:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Eric, I missed that. I submitted the feedback.

Dan Sullivan
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:28 PM