style library permissions issue RRS feed

• Question

• I

I have a site collection which contains 5-6 subsites. In the root site "Style Library" Im keeping XSL files used in one of the web parts in the sub sites. The style library is inheriting the permission of root site (Admins - Full control, Owners - Contribute, Vistors - View). I have added all NT Authenticated users to visitors group.

The security permission of my Subsite1 is ( Subsite1 Admins - Full control, Subsite1 Owners - Contribute, Subsite1 Vistors - View).  I have added all NT Authenticated users to Subsite1 visitors group.

In one of the sub site pages, one of its web part using the XSL files from root sites Style Library. This web part is giving the following error for all the users than Site Collection Administrators.

Unable to display this Web Part. To troubleshoot the problem, open this Web page in a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible HTML editor such as Microsoft SharePoint Designer. If the problem persists, contact your Web server administrator.
    Correlation ID:6237b9a4-4ecf-4b04-a244-2c7c1c20a8e7

When I added the NT Authenticated groups to Site Collections roots Owners group, it worked for the users who are not part of any of the sub site groups.

Also the pages are rending properly once I move the XSL files to a normal document library and modify the XSL link web part property.

I belive some issue is with Style Library. Can someone help me?

Monday, July 2, 2012 10:29 PM

Answers

• Try change the permission level of those users and add Manage Lists  list permission
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Niharika,

Odds are that your XSL files are in a library that has Publishing enabled (Style Library). You need to check these files in and publish them in order for readers to be able to utilize them. You'll also want to remove them from the Site Collection Owners group as they can accidentally do a lot of damage by changing/deleting files.

Provided that your visitors group has View access to the Style Library, you should be in good shape.

Hope this helps

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com

• Proposed as answer by JWarrington Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:21 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 10:46 PM
  • I have had this problem before. If subsite members don't have access to the root site they then can't access the style library.

You just need to make it so Style Library has unique permissions and then give the visitors groups or Authenticated Users read access to this library.

You just have to keep this in mind if you update permissions in the future though.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 1:03 AM
  • Thanks Tom ; I modified the permission of Style Library to Unique and assigned read permission to NT Authenticated users. This works fine for all the other users except users who are part of sub site level groups (Sub Site Owners, Sub Site Readers).

Any clue???

Thursday, July 5, 2012 5:54 PM
  • So if you give those users a direct link to the Style Library they can't access it?
    Friday, July 6, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Try change the permission level of those users and add Manage Lists  list permission
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Had similar issue. It is not apparent, but when you post the file, it is not checked in and published. I think this solved my issue of the file being in cache from me or other admin but not working for normal users. This avoids having to hand out the manage list permissions.
    Monday, March 31, 2014 7:46 PM
  • Hi Niharika,

Odds are that your XSL files are in a library that has Publishing enabled (Style Library). You need to check these files in and publish them in order for readers to be able to utilize them. You'll also want to remove them from the Site Collection Owners group as they can accidentally do a lot of damage by changing/deleting files.

Provided that your visitors group has View access to the Style Library, you should be in good shape.

Hope this helps

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com

Wanted to confirm that this resolved a similar issue I was having; the fact that the Style Library uses content publishing is not immediately apparent, but ensuring all new files were not only checked in (insufficient to resolve,) but also published, resolved some permissions issues that were manifesting in unexpected ways. Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:23 PM