TransitioningContentControl RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am performing some layout changes in my SilverLight 4 application and planning to join two different panels in my screen into a TransitioningContentControl. The idea is to make these two panels slide from right to left and left to right. One panel have master information and the other panel the details.

I know I can programatically set the content property of the TransitioningContentControl and it will perform the transition (i have also set some visual state transitions) but my problem here is that I would not like to make my panels in custom controls, since they share many information.

For now, I would like to keep them both instantiated in my main windows. Is it possible? What are the alternatives?

Thank you,

Igor.

Software Developer for Business Applications www.twitter.com/ikondrasovas

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• In theory you could instantiate the items as resources, and set them from the code behind by finding the resources. Beyond that, the control is just not built that way. Another option would be to download the source code of that control and modify it to take both content items at once, then it might work they way you want.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Hello Chuck,

Thank you for the reply.

What do you mean by "the control is just not built that way"? If I decide to create my content items as static resources in my page and add them is code behind (what seems reseonable to me) will it now work?

I do not see much documentation about this TransitioningContentControl. Is this part of CodePlex Silverlight SDK?

By the way, do you have any suggestion that I could may be using a different control?

Thank you,

Igor.

Product Manager (www.otimizenesting.com) www.facebook.com/ikondrasovas

Ahh.. I am also using a custom style I got from community to perform a left-to-right and right-to-left transtiont to navigate between master and details panel. But the effect is not what I was expecting, since the transtions makes the panels move away from the TransitioningContentPanel boundaries....So I am still now so sure about if this is the best approach....
    Monday, April 23, 2012 5:22 PM
  • That control is part of the experimental band from the Silverlight Toolkit. I've never used it so I don't know if it will work or not.

The current release page:

http://silverlight.codeplex.com/releases/view/78435

Info on the quality bands:

http://silverlight.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Quality%20Bands&referringTitle=Home

I'm not sure there is a pre-built control that does exactly what you want. Could you describe it further? It seems like you could possibly use one of the built in panels such as grid or dock panel to achieve what you want in conjunction with visual states or storyboards.

Monday, April 23, 2012 5:34 PM
  • Hello Chuck,

You are right, I think I can use vistual states and storyboards only. In this case, I will come back to my original question.

What I am trying to do should be very simple. Make a kind of sliding panel so I can alternate navigtion between master and details panels.

I could make something work almost fine. I create two visual states. The first one have the master panel visible over my custom control while the details panel is on the right, but out of the control boundaries. The second visual state has the details panel over the control and master panel on the left side.

So, when I transition from one state to another, I could have a sliding effect. The problem is that Silverligth render the panels moving, even if they are outside the control boundaries. I would like to avoid that and hide anything that is out of my control layout root boundaries.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Igor.

Product Manager (www.otimizenesting.com) www.facebook.com/ikondrasovas

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Monday, April 23, 2012 6:24 PM